Ravens vs. Steelers      Watch It AGAIN      Schedule      Mobile App   

Photo

Where Is Flacco's Ceiling?

elite qb joe sb

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 killaflacco

killaflacco

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:45 AM

With all the talk this offseason from doubters of Joe i figured this would be the year he would want to prove everyone wrong and take the nfl by storm.He has the weapons,the defense,and the run game to help him become the next breakout qb this year but so far hes gotten off to a rocky start.This is his fourth year in the nfl so i think its more than fair to predict what type of qb he will be for the rest of his career so i want to ask a question.Does anyone believe Joe will come into his own and reach the level of the current top 5 qbs(Rodgers,Brady,Brees,Manning,Rivers)?if so when?if not why?With me being one of his biggest fans it gets hard to see the truth because i still think he'll be better than montana and brady haha so i need to hear some other perspectives.

#2 RavensFan2110

RavensFan2110

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:02 AM

I hope so.
Flacco is a beast. He's sure to be in the Top 5 soon. He deserves it.
Posted Image

#3 Corvus

Corvus

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:02 AM

I think Joe can eventually be that top 5 QB, the question is when will he get to that point. He has shown improvements every single year in the league. This year for instance, he has shown exceptional pocket awareness but then he has a play Sunday night where he scrambles out of the pocket and had to know he had guys behind him, whoops, a lost fumble. Part of it is Joe needing to improve some facets of his game, he is still having problems reading some types of coverages. He also needs some time to fully get that timing and chemistry with his receivers going, the only receiver he has on the team that has been here with him since his rookie year is Ray. He has been throwing to everyone else for a year (Boldin, Dickson, Pitta) or less (Evans, all the rookie WRs, Leach) so I'm certainly giving them all plenty of time to mesh. Even though I know Joe is taking more control of the offense, a lot of the playcalling doesn't match up with what our personnel that are currently on the field at that moment in my opinion and that aspect is on Cam. For example, if your o-line isn't holding up, stop calling play action and 7 step drops and have your receivers run routes that allow Joe to have a quick release. So in conclusion, I would say Flacco's celing is as high in relation to how much support he has. Ozzie has done a great job of putting the best talent possible around Joe and for Cam to use this year, for once I think we really have a complete offense. But Joe has to continue to improve, his receivers have to continue to improve and Cam has to be able to put these guys in the best position to succeed (which he has done on AND off for his Ravens career). If those 3 things are happening, the sky is the limit for Joe

#4 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:06 AM

He need the work ethic of drew brees. Only then will Joe Flacco be best of the best. For now, he looks to be on the pace to be the next Jay Cutler of the future.

#5 Raven146

Raven146

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:17 AM

As long as Cam , runs the offense it will continue to struggle against good defenses. Flacco is only the quarterback , trying to work with Cams offense, that has yet to be effective, in a consistent manner. If we ever get an offensive coordinator that builds the offense around the players talents and not one that that works on paper but is almost impossible to "Execute" constantly, the Ravens offense will continue to have a roller coaster offense.

#6 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,334 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:18 AM

Take his good games from this year, add consistency. And there it is.
Posted Image

#7 lowrider

lowrider

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

I think the 5-7 range is going to be more of Flacco. I don't think he will be better than Rodgers, Brady, and Manning. I think he could be as good as brees or Rivers. I think that his ceiling is from the 4-6 range. But I think he will be in the category as a Big Ben. Hopefully he is a winner. Because that's all I'm worried about

#8 3-4ravdef509

3-4ravdef509

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:52 AM

As long as Cam , runs the offense it will continue to struggle against good defenses. Flacco is only the quarterback , trying to work with Cams offense, that has yet to be effective, in a consistent manner. If we ever get an offensive coordinator that builds the offense around the players talents and not one that that works on paper but is almost impossible to "Execute" constantly, the Ravens offense will continue to have a roller coaster offense.

This.

Although Flacco should really IMO just take charge and change the plays when he doesn't like them. Like Favre would do sometimes. Cam's fatal flaw is adjustment. If he fixes that than I'll have more hope.

Flacco will be elite in his generation, idk about being in the best of all time conversation like Brady and Manning. Time will tell though.

#9 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,573 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:55 AM

I say no, those guys are special talents. Joe, at this point doesn't seem like a special talent to me. He can, cartainly lead us to the Super Bowl though. Though, the way his career numbers are trending.. he may just be a special QB.

Looking at guys like Jim Kelly, Phil Sims, Bert Jones, Drew Bledsoe etc... He's on course to surpas them statiscally and maybe win the Big ONE!

#10 3-4ravdef509

3-4ravdef509

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:57 AM

I say no, those guys are special talents. Joe, at this point doesn't seem like a special talent to me. He can, cartainly lead us to the Super Bowl though. Though, the way his career numbers are trending.. he may just be a special QB.

Looking at guys like Jim Kelly, Phil Sims, Bert Jones, Drew Bledsoe etc... He's on course to surpas them statiscally and maybe win the Big ONE!

Your post went from Debbie downer to top of the world....lol

#11 True

True

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:01 PM

He reminds me of Phil Simms and Boomer Esiason who were very good franchise QBs.

Posted Image

#12 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,573 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:01 PM

Your post went from Debbie downer to top of the world....lol

Well , its sort of like this: He's a good QB right now, and IF he continues to improve... He COULD be special, but it's too early to say. If the numbers incrementally improve how they have over the first 3 years, he'll be slightly lower then those guys at his ceiling.

#13 ellicottraven

ellicottraven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,815 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:03 PM

With a typical ceiling height of 9', he is only about 2'4" short of the ceiling!

Edited by ellicottraven, 06 October 2011 - 12:03 PM.

Baltimore Ravens - classiest organization in all of organized sport!

#14 slugz1

slugz1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:26 PM

i put no because i dont know if joe can be on their level i really think its all up to joe. is he gonna continue to go to the side lines and just sit there or is he gonna study tape and discuss with his teammates what to do in certain situations.

Posted Image

#15 Natty Boh

Natty Boh

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

I'm not a Flacco hater but those QB's are some of the great ones. I think it would be unrealistic for anyone to think that a QB would reach their level of success.

#16 PWNEDbyDEANO

PWNEDbyDEANO

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:12 PM

I don't think Flacco has the potential to reach the level of the highest QBs of today. Brady and Manning are two of the best to have ever played and Brees and Rodgers are two incredibly good QBs as well. I think that there's a drop off to the next level of Rivers and Ben and that's the area I would put Joe's potential in.

#17 Romo Ravens

Romo Ravens

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:17 PM

I don't think Flacco has the potential to reach the level of the highest QBs of today. Brady and Manning are two of the best to have ever played and Brees and Rodgers are two incredibly good QBs as well. I think that there's a drop off to the next level of Rivers and Ben and that's the area I would put Joe's potential in.

I'd take that all day

#18 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,855 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:18 PM

Eh, tough to say....I can guarantee no one thought Brady would be who he is.  I mean, hes better now than he was when the Pats won their 3.  They were more of a complete team then and had Adam V (the real hero back then).  Stats aren't everything, but Bradys numbers were very average early in his career.  Its really been the last 3-4 years (07 on) that his numbers have been nasty!

Edited by 1/28/01, 06 October 2011 - 01:18 PM.

Posted Image

#19 Jamal

Jamal

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:20 PM

No. Its unfair to have Manning and Brady expectations on anyone.

But as long as Cam is here, I can't see him becoming anything more than he is now.

Edited by Jamal, 06 October 2011 - 01:20 PM.

#20 PWNEDbyDEANO

PWNEDbyDEANO

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:29 PM

I'd take that all day

Yeah, I definitely would too. I would tend to say that he'll fall more in the Roethlisberger area in that any success he has will always be somewhat credited to his defense, maybe not put up eye-popping stats but successful nonetheless.

No. Its unfair to have Manning and Brady expectations on anyone.

But as long as Cam is here, I can't see him becoming anything more than he is now.

I agree with you about the Cam comment but hypothetically where do you see his ceiling if Cam was to leave?