Upcoming Events:  Lil Ravens Camp      Training Camp Stadium Practices      Movie Night   

Watch Training Camp LIVE Thursday at 8:30 am ET

Ravens training camp kicks off Thursday & we're bringing the action directly to you! News, analysis, giveaways and more! More info ยป
Close

Photo

Anyone Else Wanted Cris Collinsworth To Shut Up?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
59 replies to this topic

#1 ravenwildman

ravenwildman

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:31 PM

The game was crazy in an awesome way, but Cris Collingsworth is such a Raven Hater I got a headache listening to him pointing out supposed un-called penalties from our defense, or anything else he could say against the Ravens.

He even went as far to say that he was sure Pittsburgh was going to get revenge come November for what happened in week one ???.

That was irritating, I think that if commentators are going to be that bias then they should not be allowed to call a prime time game.

GO RAVENS!

#2 theFRANCHISE

theFRANCHISE

Hall of Famer

• Reserve Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,116 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:34 PM

I wasn't hearing bias. I was just hearing poor commentary.

That's not a slight on you or anyone else, of course. I think it's just that football fans (not just our fanbase) have some sort of inferiority complex when the national media slights their team in any way, shape, or form. So as a result, they become more sensitive to negative comments than small praise.

Posted Image

#3 tonyg6996

tonyg6996

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:37 PM

He really is, he's always taking underhanded shots at players. The big one I noticed was when LaQuan Williams got his first down catch. He started off by saying that he had been hearing from people around the team that they are excited about him, which is a true and nice comment. But he followed it up by saying that LaQuan might be better than Torrey or Doss.

#4 counts52

counts52

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:38 PM

i dunno i cant stand Collingsworth. I remember when he was commentating on a ravens steelers game I actually muted my tv because I couldnt stand listening to him.

#5 tonyg6996

tonyg6996

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:40 PM

I wasn't hearing bias. I was just hearing poor commentary.

That's not a slight on you or anyone else, of course. I think it's just that football fans (not just our fanbase) have some sort of inferiority complex when the national media slights their team in any way, shape, or form. So as a result, they become more sensitive to negative comments than small praise.

That's a good point.

#6 atljbo

atljbo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:42 PM

I cant stand dude.. I hate that we have him next week... When we faced Philly... Dude was talking about Philly the whole game.. His Vick love (in our house) ...

rsz_1bagye6qcyaaavuw.jpg

#7 Purple Nurple

Purple Nurple

Telling It Like It Is Since 1974

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,689 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:42 PM

That's a good point.

He makes them ALL THE TIME. Its so irritating.

newsigg2_zps9e6531bd.jpg

#8 theFRANCHISE

theFRANCHISE

Hall of Famer

• Reserve Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,116 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:51 PM

I think my problem with Cris Collinsworth is how he comes across. He reminds me of the likeable uncle who's a nice enough guy but tries too hard to sound smart, which in turn, makes him sound stupid.

It irks me that Collinsworth can never sound truly serious and into the moment. It's like he's just kicking back and drinking a beer while watching the game.

I prefer my commentators to either be passionate or professional -- maybe even both (see: Gus Johnson on a good day, Brian Billick, Al Michaels in his prime, etc.)

Posted Image

#9 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,377 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:54 PM

I actually like Collinsworth.
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#10 rlh445

rlh445

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:57 PM

I actually did not like Collinsworth for a long stretch of time, but after having to hear him for years playing Madden I guess I got used to him and even kind of started to like his goofy voice and obvious one liners. Kind of like a younger Madden.

This is football, not teacups with the Queen.

#11 CorvusCorax

CorvusCorax

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:02 PM

I actually did not like Collinsworth for a long stretch of time, but after having to hear him for years playing Madden I guess I got used to him and even kind of started to like his goofy voice and obvious one liners. Kind of like a younger Madden.

Haha he kinda reminds me of Madden a bit. He says some interesting things then out of nowhere he pulls a comment out that leaves you saying, "Did he just say that?" lol.

Posted Image

#12 rlh445

rlh445

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:05 PM

Haha he kinda reminds me of Madden a bit. He says some interesting things then out of nowhere he pulls a comment out that leaves you saying, "Did he just say that?" lol.

'Well that's why you send all those guys, to plug up the holes..well that time there WERE no holes,'.

Edited by rlh445, 03 October 2011 - 10:05 PM.

This is football, not teacups with the Queen.

#13 D_UP

D_UP

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:07 PM

More like Al to shut up, I can't stand that guy.

Edited by D_UP, 03 October 2011 - 10:07 PM.

#14 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,413 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:14 PM

I want Jim Hunter and Jim Palmer to commentate
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#15 keebl3rs

keebl3rs

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:15 PM

He's a god amongst men, fools.

Posted Image

"One does not simply stop a T. Sizzle from sacking thy QB."

- -

Jim Harbaugh eloquently describes Candlestick Stadium Blackout - "It was dark."

#16 RavensAllTheWay

RavensAllTheWay

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:22 PM

More like Al to shut up, I can't stand that guy.

My favorite line last night was when Al jokingly suggested that Joe McKnight play Center and snap the ball....

#17 Jamal

Jamal

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:25 PM

I was surprised to hear him highly praise Flacco.

Although, Flacco didn't really give Cris much to praise him about. But right from the beginning I could tell Cris really wanted to point out how this was Flacco's team.

#18 Andrew Glass

Andrew Glass

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:27 PM

I usually like collingworth but I didn't really like him last night. I generally ALWAYS hate jon gruden but he's always up everyones [profanity deleted]

#19 EdReedFTW

EdReedFTW

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:33 PM

All I'll say is at least he's better than Greg Gumble and Dan Dierdorf. THOSE two are the WORST.
"I wanted to make the moves Reed does when he has the ball. I couldn’t do that. He can."-Ronnie Lott

#20 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:45 PM

Chris was pretty fair last night, he surprised me on how much insight he had on the team actually, it's as if he read our fan site lol. When he talked about Laquan Williams and that some people think that he's better than our other rookie WR, well it's true! lol i've read that on this site atleast 444545 times. And when he spoke about Torrey Williams and his struggles in the preseason, and how he silenced critics last week... it was true.

I find Cris to be a pretty fair commentator. He picked on the Jets too, it went both ways. I think my favorite quote from him last night was when he said that Ray Lewis must be calling the plays, lol because we were running so much.

1Untitled_zps8afd95ac.pngbench_zps0a7ce32d.jpg