Photo

The 2011 Running Back Situation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 itscbm5042

itscbm5042

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

So with the cap numbers coming out and the inevitability of losing McClain to free agency, and the release of McGahee, the running back situation is far from solidified. Rice is a dynamic play maker but he is not a bruiser, he doesn't push piles, and he can disappear in games for long stretches. Its obvious the Ravens need to sign a blocking FB to open up holes, but I also think the Ravens need to sign an above average RB to tandem with Rice. They have had a pseudo 3 headed monster but need to pair Rice with a power/speed guy. The combination of two legit RBs with a power blocking FB is what the Ravens need to improve their run game.

So lets look at some potential options and the impact to the cap. We will assume that McGahee is released and McClain signs elsewhere, freeing up some cap space.

RB Ray Rice
RB Ronnie Brown
FB Lawrence Vickers

I think this is a fairly likely scenario and like the makeup of the RB corps with this combo. Vickers is purely a blocker, Brown is fast, has decent hands, but also has the size and strength to break tackles and get into the end zone. Basically he is a younger McGahee who should come much cheaper.

What are some realistic contract numbers and cap hits that could be expected from this lineup?

#2 ravensfan2424

ravensfan2424

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:18 PM

Assuming we lose mcclain:

Ray Rice as starter

Curtis Steele as Back-up- I think this guy will be good and he'll do little damage to the cap

Vickers at FB

1005856_10201063947747543_1065445185_n.j

#3 itscbm5042

itscbm5042

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:32 PM

Assuming we lose mcclain:

Ray Rice as starter

Curtis Steele as Back-up- I think this guy will be good and he'll do little damage to the cap

Vickers at FB

While it wouldn't be Steele, I thought about Parmele becoming the full time #2 back. He is big, fast, and knows the system. However I think that in a Super Bowl year the Ravens need to make sure that their backs are NFL proven. Tho its obvious the way to the Super Bowl is now through the passing game. I don't think Steve Smith makes this team better, but I do think effectively utilizing our young speed guys will. Cameron has got to get a clue when it comes to play calling.

#4 Romo Ravens

Romo Ravens

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:45 PM

So with the cap numbers coming out and the inevitability of losing McClain to free agency, and the release of McGahee, the running back situation is far from solidified. Rice is a dynamic play maker but he is not a bruiser, he doesn't push piles, and he can disappear in games for long stretches. Its obvious the Ravens need to sign a blocking FB to open up holes, but I also think the Ravens need to sign an above average RB to tandem with Rice. They have had a pseudo 3 headed monster but need to pair Rice with a power/speed guy. The combination of two legit RBs with a power blocking FB is what the Ravens need to improve their run game.

So lets look at some potential options and the impact to the cap. We will assume that McGahee is released and McClain signs elsewhere, freeing up some cap space.

RB Ray Rice
RB Ronnie Brown
FB Lawrence Vickers

I think this is a fairly likely scenario and like the makeup of the RB corps with this combo. Vickers is purely a blocker, Brown is fast, has decent hands, but also has the size and strength to break tackles and get into the end zone. Basically he is a younger McGahee who should come much cheaper.

What are some realistic contract numbers and cap hits that could be expected from this lineup?

He disappears at times because of Cameron's play calling. This has nothing to do with Rice, nothing at all.

#5 RL52TheGreatest

RL52TheGreatest

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:54 PM

RB Ray Rice
RB Ronnie Brown
FB Lawrence Vickers

Ronnie Brown....really? I think he's a good player, but even when he's been splitting carries with Ricky Williams he still manages to get hurt. The dude is injury prone and not worth the money he would probably be asking for.

I'm hoping that we can re-sign McClain and have him split carries with Rice because I feel like it would be a better change of pace. Then hopefully we can go out and get a better blocking FB whether it's Vickers or whoever else.

#6 3-4 Assault

3-4 Assault

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:11 PM

Rice is the future at RB, but I'm not a huge fan of either McClain or MeGahee. I want a bruising FB like Neil was back in '08. Someone who is just a wrecking ball at the FB position.
Posted Image
XBL - ravensfan1283

#7 Corvus

Corvus

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:12 PM

I definitely don't see us putting a lot of money in the position in free agency, especially since Rice will be a UFA after this season with the new CBA allowing unrestriction after 4 years of service. Resigning him will be a priority. There's no doubt in my mind we push hard for Vickers or Leach when free agency starts, but the only RB I could see us spending somewhat big money on is if we bring Le'Ron back as our compliment to Ray. Otherwise I think a combination of Parmele, Steele, and Allen will be what we see this season behind Ray.

I will throw this name out there as a guy who MAY make sense for us: Brian Westbrook. Harbs is familiar with him and after his stint in SF last year, I think he realizes his time as a starter is over, he could be good for us if the price is right.

#8 3-4 Assault

3-4 Assault

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:14 PM

I will throw this name out there as a guy who MAY make sense for us: Brian Westbrook. Harbs is familiar with him and after his stint in SF last year, I think he realizes his time as a starter is over, he could be good for us if the price is right.

No thanks.
Posted Image
XBL - ravensfan1283

#9 Corvus

Corvus

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:35 PM

No thanks.

Thanks for the big contribution to the conversation there friend. I never said I wanted him either, just pointing out that it wouldn't surprise me...

#10 3-4 Assault

3-4 Assault

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for the big contribution to the conversation there friend. I never said I wanted him either, just pointing out that it wouldn't surprise me...

I don't think there is a reason to explain why we don't need a injury prone RB who probably should of hung up the pads after the Eagles let him go.

Not to mention that we need a 3rd down, short yardage FB, not another RB.
Posted Image
XBL - ravensfan1283

#11 Corvus

Corvus

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:03 PM

I don't think there is a reason to explain why we don't need a injury prone RB who probably should of hung up the pads after the Eagles let him go.

Not to mention that we need a 3rd down, short yardage FB, not another RB.

I completely agree with your last statement, as I said in my original post I know we'll shoot hard for Vickers or Leach and I honestly think we'd be fine with Allen, Parmele, and Steele behind Rice, whatever combination of that winds up on the final roster. Running backs seemingly come out of nowhere on the NFL radar a lot (Chris Ivory in NO last year anyone?) and none of those other 3 guys of ours have really had a chance to show anything for various reasons, so I don't see why at least one of them won't step up given the chance.

#12 Suggs Package

Suggs Package

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:37 PM

My dream scenario:

RB:
1.) Ray Rice
2.) Michael Bush - if unrestricted - he's worth the money
3.) Jalen Parmele

FB: Vonta Leach

#13 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,628 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:43 PM

I highly doubt we sign a Free Agent RB. Rice is good for 250-300 carries and the rest can be given to some combination of Anthony Allen, Curtis Steele, or Jalen Parmele. There will be a camp battle to find that #2 back.

Thats assuming McClain walks. If he is willing to sign for a team friendly contract, I think Le'Ron can fill the role of FB and still take about 100 carries.

@gabefergy

#14 Blex64

Blex64

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:42 PM

At this point I honestly think we should let McClain walk. He doesn't want to be a FB, and we don't need a RB.

Sign Leach or Vickers and try and get McGahee to restructure. If he doesn't, we have 3 other RBs on the roster for a camp battle.

#15 Guest_ArmyRaven52_*

Guest_ArmyRaven52_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:52 PM

Ray Rice
Parmele
Allen

With Leach blocking, I think I could live with that.

#16 RavenRain

RavenRain

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:40 PM

I actually think we have very good potential in our RBs. I dont think we need to go out and get a FB... we can turn Allen to a FB if nesessary. What I would love to see is The ravens gettin John Clay out of Wisconsin. He is a huge 250 pound 6-1 thumper. I know some of ya are gonna mention his 40 time (4.8) Now I dont expect him to make spectacular plays, but he will move the pile (TRUST ME) plus he could potentially become a Fullback.
what do you guys think??

#17 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,939 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:32 PM

I actually think we have very good potential in our RBs. I dont think we need to go out and get a FB... we can turn Allen to a FB if nesessary. What I would love to see is The ravens gettin John Clay out of Wisconsin. He is a huge 250 pound 6-1 thumper. I know some of ya are gonna mention his 40 time (4.8) Now I dont expect him to make spectacular plays, but he will move the pile (TRUST ME) plus he could potentially become a Fullback.
what do you guys think??

Yea a couple months back I mentioned Clay as a Undrafted guy the Ravens should target. Clay would definitely prove that smash mouth style that the Ravens like, he could also be used as a lead back on occasions to add some athleticism to the position when needed. We'd still have to bring in a FB.

I don't like the idea of Allen as a FB, he played close to the line in College, but make no mistake, that guy is a RB and could be a dangerous one.

IMO the reason why LeRon McClain isn't a great as he could be at the FB position is because he spends too much time trying to audition as a RB. If he buckled down and forced on being a smash mouth FB, he'd probably be considered the best in the NFL, despite already being viewed highly.

I think the Ravens are looking for more of a true FB. I wouldn't discount McKie, but I think the Ravens would like to add competition to the position, if McClain isn't resigned.

mj5v69.jpg

#18 wayne

wayne

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:11 PM

I say bring McClain back and if he wants more of a Hillis/Alstott role, so be it. He just wants more carries, sure he not trying to break the bank to come back to a SB Caliber organization that drafted him where he has established good friendships with his teammates as well as established a place to live.

#19 The King

The King

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:39 AM

I don't see McClain as out the door just yet, but the more he talks the more trouble I have seeing him come back, Even if we decide to make him our numbers two back in addition to a greater rushing load, the money just might not be there for him to stick around, even if McGahee gets cut. It might just be more money then it would be wise to invest when there are good blocking FBs on the market.

#20 TheRavenouseD2008

TheRavenouseD2008

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:24 AM

actualy the more he talks about Wanting to be a Raven and come back the more I think Mcgahee is losing his luster and might be out the door rice and mcclain are safe at the moment , I think willis must go , reason is I think mcclain can single back on the GL and is more of a locamotive at that distance then rice or willis , plus with Allen coming in I have this gut instinct he could be willis' complete replacement

" We weren't supposed to have a winning season, but we do. We

weren't supposed to advance to the playoffs, but we did. We're not

supposed to be here, but we are." Grant Taylor " Facing the

Giants"   (reminds me of us last year and maybe this year as well)