Photo

Tailgater Looking For Help

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 BearsTailgater

BearsTailgater

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:19 PM

Hello, Baltimore!
I've been an avid tailgater at the Bears games for 8 years. However, the NFL, the Bears, and the Chicago Park District have made it incredibly tough to do it ever again. They have disallowed any tailgating DURING the games. We'd have a couple dozen friends/family come out with us every home game. Some would have tickets, some would be looking for tickets. In any case, those not going in would hang out, eat, drink and watch the game on tv in the parking lot. No more of that. Are you allowed to tailgate during the game, or do they kick you out?
Also, the ONLY lot near Soldier Field that allows RV's and campers was $85 last year ($75 a couple years before that). Now, it's a whopping $125!!! Car parking also went up, from $35 to $45. A lot of us Bears fans aren't happy, obviously. I'm looking at parking costs of the other NFL teams to see if other football fans are bending over and taking it like we are in Chicago!
If anyone can let me know how much the parking rates are for cars and RV's, that would be great!

PS -- I see every team issued a Fan Code of Conduct. The Bears also issued a phone number to call/text security to rat out the fans. I don't believe people should act like idiots, but SERIOUSLY?? They flash it on the monitors and keep announcing it between plays! What's next? Does your team have the same thing? Just wondering.

Good luck in 2008!
Kevin McMahon
("NoRelation2JimmyMac" on the Bears Forums)

#2 Moderator 2

Moderator 2

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,549 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:53 PM

In the Lot I am in you are allowed to tailgate all game, against the Colts in the rain last year we almost stayed in the parking lot with the canopies and heaters--but we went in. A Couple of the lots I don't think you can do hot food, but they let you tailgate. We pay 30 dollars a game at the beginning of the year. I do believe RV parking is 120 bucks a game in J lot. There some daily lots that I saw 40 dollar a game signs. We have something called Ravens Walk which has bands and entertainment and sorta pay as you tailgate concessions and gear.

We have always had a Fan Credo since I've been going to the games in 1998, pretty much what the NFL's is. I did notice there is now text number, but I only recall seeing it 2 or 3 times last week on the big screen. Cinnci has had the text number for a year or 2 AND their fan conduct Credo HERE about public displays of affection. I think its sad that the teams have to spell this stuff out.

The only one change that I do not like was the post 9/11 no back packs and security pat downs, but I finally got over it :lol: it took 7 years. I just have 1 purse designated for games that I can pitch at the end of the season or throw in the washer. AND I discovered those huge zip lock bags that I can put my stuff in to keep it dry from the weather and spilled beer from behind me.
68f2a8.jpg

#3 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,353 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:53 PM

Our lots currently open 5 hours before the game. I heard somewhere that next year it will be 4 hours before the game. I guess they want to cut down on the drinking. The NFL is driving this, not the individual teams.
15fqib6.jpg

#4 BearsTailgater

BearsTailgater

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:10 PM

Thanks for the replies! Wow, Cincy has a policy for public displays of affection? That......well, that is a new one! haha! Yeah, I wasn't too keen on the patdowns, either. When we first started tailgating, my friends and I had really crappy jobs (we were only 21 or 22, fresh out of college) so we'd sneak in a couple cans of beer to avoid paying for stadium beer. Looking back, beer was probably a bargain then. It's $7 now!
As for the 4 hours before the game rule, Bears started enforcing that last season. They've always been saying it, but you could get there 5 hours before the game and not have any trouble parking. Next thing you know, you start actually enforcing it and chaos ensues. You couldn't wait in a line for the gates to open. Cops were running around, screaming at everyone, threatening to write tickets. Cars, trucks, campers, rv's, blimps, whatever, were circling around the stadium with nowhere to go until 8am. When they finally opened the gates, everybody rushed the area, causing major traffic headaches. We didn't actually park until 9:30!!
I just hate all these new rules and policies because it seems to be happening so sudden. It's like Goodell is trying to cleanse the NFL, but taking it out on the fans first. With the parking rules and tailgating rules, it seems to be something new every year. I'm just worried that all the teams that are allowed to tailgate throughout the game won't be allowed to do so next season. The main excuse the Bears used for shutting down the tailgating was that they wanted to keep the overly-intoxicated people out of the game. My argument is, why shut down tailgating during the game, when the idiot drunks are already INSIDE the stadium? Makes no sense! If the NFL truly wants to cut down on drinking, then they should not sell alcohol during the games. But we all know how much money the NFL makes from Miller and Budweiser, so that will never happen. If someone wants to drink and get stupid, they'll find a way, no matter what the rules are. I just think it's bogus that they have to throw these rules at the die-hard fans that love tailgating.

#5 Moderator 2

Moderator 2

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,549 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 03:16 PM

Please don't forget that its preseason for all of them too. Last year we had "potty" issues--they stuck the porta potties in our tailgate spots, one year they let half the lot use canopies but the other half couldn't--this year went surprisingly well. I used to be the "great smuggler" when it came to beer and soda but I have been behaving this century :lol: I either get the designated driver free soda coupons or pony up the 5 bucks for a soda, as I gotten over 35 drinking makes me sleepy and I pay too much for my tickers to sleep through the game.
68f2a8.jpg