Photo

[Blogs] Late For Work 1/24: NFL Backs Non-Call On Steelers TD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
74 replies to this topic

#1 BR News

BR News

Hall of Famer

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,281 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:54 AM

NFL Backs Non-Call On Steelers TD

As they do after every game, the Ravens sent to the NFL for review a list of questionable calls made by referees during Baltimore’s divisional playoff loss to the Steelers.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, one the Ravens’ questions was why a false start wasn’t called on Steelers tight end David Johnson on Pittsburgh’s game-winning touchdown. But the NFL backed referee Jeff Triplette and his crew’s non-call.

PFT.com’s Gregg Rosenthal said that after watching the play repeatedly in slow motion, he also believes the officials made a good non-call.

“The confusion comes because Johnson flinches or falls out of his stance,” wrote Rosenthal. ”At full speed, it looks like he may have jumped early.  But Johnson flinches right when the ball is snapped, not before.  If anything, the flinch causes Johnson to be a second late to the play.”

You can check the play out and judge for yourself in this NFL.com video. A good view of Johnson’s flinch starts at the 50-second mark.

“Getting this one right doesn’t mean that Triplette’s crew had a good night,” added Rosenthal.

The PFT writer pointed to a “clear hold” by Johnson on defensive tackle Terrence Cody moments earlier, but Cody was called for defensive holding.   He also said the holding call on Baltimore during the Ravens’ punt return touchdown in the fourth quarter was “questionable.” 

The Ravens never pointed to the referees as the reason for their loss.

“I’m not in any position to rate the referees,” Head Coach John Harbaugh said after the game.  “It’s not something I’m qualified to do.  I don’t have a problem with that right now.”

Rehashing the play may just be pouring salt on old wounds. Just like watching the Steelers beat the Jets, 24-19, in the AFC Championship last night.

The Baltimore Sun’s Peter Schmuck says watching Pittsburgh advance to the Super Bowl was tough for Ravens fans to stomach … unless seeing Pittsburgh take on the Packers serves as validation for Baltimore’s season.

Reed’s Brother Possibly Found, Not Recovered

After 17 days of uncertainty, the Reed family had hoped they would finally get answers about their missing relative Brian Reed.

But after a volunteer group, Texas Equusearch, found a body in the Mississippi River around 3 p.m. Sunday using sonar, divers weren’t able to recover it because river currents carried it away, according to FOX 8 News. The volunteer team had to call off the search at 6 p.m. when they were losing daylight.

“Sometime during the time they were getting their equipment ready, and the time that they had the sonar reading and positively placed the body in the water… they believe the body has broken loose and is no longer in that spot,” Kenner Police Lt. Wayne McInnis told reporters.

Now the Reed’s are still left without the closure they were looking for.

“I’m just shocked that after all of this time, we find him … hopefully … and he’s gone … again,” said Shenata Jackson, a cousin of Reed.

Reed reportedly jumped into the river while trying to evade police.

Brian is the brother of Ed Reed and family members told FOX 8 that the Ravens safety was at the scene along the river after being alerted his brother may have been found.

The search will resume Monday, but there’s concern where the river could take the body next because of heavy river traffic and a strong current.

Mattison On Leaving For Wolverines: Best Decision I’ve Ever Made

Ravens former Defensive Coordinator Greg Mattison unexpectedly left Baltimore to take the same role for the Michigan Wolverines.  Mattison returns to Michigan after serving as its defensive line coach and coordinator from 1992 to 1996.

Mattison wasn’t able to give parting comments to Ravens fans, but he recently spoke with mgoblue.com, saying that he was thrilled to return to Michigan.

“I guess you never realize how much you miss it till you come back,” said Mattison. “My wife and I were saying that coming up the stairs today. It’s like coming home.”

Asked if it was difficult to leave Baltimore, Mattison said it took a special set of circumstances to leave a great situation with the Ravens.

“I definitely wouldn’t have done it if it wasn’t for [Michigan Head Coach] Brady Hoke. I was at a great situation, but when it became Michigan, and it became Brady Hoke, it was too hard to pass up.

“I’m glad; it’s probably the best decision I’ve ever made, based on my feeling right now, being here.”

Turns Out, McClain Does Want To Return

When he was cleaning out his locker in Owings Mills for the offseason, Ravens fullback Le’Ron McClain sounded like he didn’t think he would return to Baltimore.

“I felt like I would have been used a little more this season. It is what it is,” McClain said on January 17. “I’m over that now. It was four great years in Baltimore, and I’m looking forward to the future. It’s out of my control.”

But McClain has posted messages on his Twitter account that suggest he wants and plans on being back in purple in black.

I want to come back and play for the ravens so bad. This is home to me, but I just want to be involved more,” he tweeted later that same day.  ”Ravens we’ll be back next year…. #FACT.”

Three days later, McClain followed up with another tweet, “Baltimore Ravens all the way to Indy next year,” he wrote. “Gone head and book your flights and hotels…. #Ready2GetBackStarted”

Michael Oher Signing

While most are familiar with his life story depicted in The Blind Side, for the first time Ravens tackle Michael Oher has released the account of his journey in his own words.

In his book entitled I Beat the Odds, Oher gives more detail and his point of view on how anyone can achieve a better life.

Oher will be at the Power Plant Barnes & Noble on Wednesday, Feb. 9 at 12:30 p.m. and again on Thursday, Feb. 10 at 7 p.m. to sign copies of his new book.

Quick Hits

View the full article

#2 BirdsofPrey

BirdsofPrey

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:48 AM

Book flights and hotels to Indy?? C'mon, as long as Cam's still in town, I'll just keep my money in the bank. Can you spell inconsistency? I can...C A M.

The wound from two terrible losses to the Steelers is still fresh...knowing that we gave them both games and they didn't beat us makes me absolutely sick. Hearing (because I won't watch) that they keep winning, makes it even worse.

#3 ThisGirlLovesFootball2

ThisGirlLovesFootball2

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:50 AM

The Jets need to complain as well. There were obvious non-calls in that game. we all know the league loves the Steelers.

"Its hard to win at heinz field for any team when the refs are Steelers fans and getting a nice secret bonus"....
Also agree with this comment I read .

#4 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:58 AM

The Squeelers always seem to have the refs in their favour i just dont get it. Where can i get Ohers book!!!!

#5 ThisGirlLovesFootball2

ThisGirlLovesFootball2

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:58 AM

@BirdsofPrey I agree and the wounds are still fresh and deep .

#6 ThisGirlLovesFootball2

ThisGirlLovesFootball2

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:02 AM

@TDubbs Oher will be at the Power Plant Barnes & Noble on Wednesday, Feb. 9 at 12:30 p.m. and again on Thursday, Feb. 10 at 7 p.m. to sign copies of his new book.

#7 Punt

Punt

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:10 AM

Where was the slow motion look at the false start.

#8 I V1PERR I

I V1PERR I

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:10 AM

@ Punt .click the link that says "check the play out"

#9 Proxzyn

Proxzyn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:16 AM

I would rather have them call attention to that stupid holding on Webb's TD. It was so obvious that the Steeler player let himself fall backwards.

#10 balfan23

balfan23

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,405 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:25 AM

Of course they did. What else would we expect from the league regarding their darling Steelers.

The refs could have made a couple of other good no-calls. Like not reversing a game changing play on the punt return based on a flop and not giving the squealers 5 shots at the end zone from inside the 5 with the first defensive holding call I've seen in 40 years.

Of course the team didn't point to the refs as the reason they lost. They aren't supposed to. That's our job :-)

#11 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:25 AM

I read an interesting article in SI about the real reason behind home field advantage. The article goes on to state that home field advantage has nothing to do with crowd noise, playing on familiar turf, traveling, or where you slept in the hotel. Ultimately the article concludes that home field advantage rests with referee bias.

Now the article does go on to say this may be a subconscious thing, and making a snap judgment can be influenced by the crowd's reaction. But that being said there is an obvious statistical advantage on referee decisions going in the home team's favor that can't be ignored. This is even more true with the more people at the game, and the bigger the game is and this is especially blatant in Baseball, and Soccer.

So what do you really expect from the refs? They are part timers that are over-worked and underpaid. They are obviously working for fringe benefits like being able to see the game up close, or influencing a close game. Are we as Baltimore fans really surprised at all by the questionable, and missed calls? The '08 championship game is actually probably the best example of referee bias in football history.

As a football fan first and foremost all I want is to not see a game that is decided by refs. As a football fan I enjoy the game for the spectacular plays, and I don't enjoy watching refs throwing little yellow hankies everywhere.

#12 BmoreKing

BmoreKing

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

Who cares anymore. We lost and they own us. No more excuses....

#13 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,203 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:29 AM

I didn't even know there was an issue with that play.
Posted Image

#14 T.O.

T.O.

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:40 AM

Stop it We LOST the game! 21-7 and we LOST. Had nothing to do with the refs.

#15 SoCalRaven

SoCalRaven

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:42 AM

Book flights and hotels to Indy?? C'mon, as long as Cam's still in town, I'll just keep my money in the bank. Can you spell inconsistency? I can...C A M.

The wound from two terrible losses to the Steelers is still fresh...knowing that we gave them both games and they didn't beat us makes me absolutely sick. Hearing (because I won't watch) that they keep winning, makes it even worse.

Get ready for another year of a frustrating, underachieving offense. Not sure why the organization has a love affair with Cameron.

#16 tsizzlefan55

tsizzlefan55

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

who cares bout turning in plays bout refs what DOES that help we already out and IM NOT WATCHING the superbowl i'll c who won.. but have no need help the nfl ratings i dcnt care if it dont matter i refuse watching a BORING GAME

#17 BmoreRavens201044

BmoreRavens201044

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:51 AM

I dont think organization has a love affair with cam if the cba wasn't set to expire i think they wouldve fired him the day after the steelers loss. its just that with a new off coord you need to learn new plays and terminology and with a lockout they are not permitted to have meetings with any team staff. I want cam fired as much as the next person, itll b interesting to see what happens when new cba is signed.

#18 anonymousravenfan85

anonymousravenfan85

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:52 AM

Tired of the possible excuses we try to come up with. Yes the steelers are dirty and yes it seems like the refs go against us...but it is no excuse. The steelers beat us . We just need to move on and get our crap together and win its time for us to start man handling the steelers. We had our chance to beat them and we let it slip away....as far as i see it were the only team that could beat them and it looks like our superbowl belongs to them now.

#19 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,524 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:02 AM

ummm....

Ravens are up 21-7 at the half....come out in the 3rd qrtr....Ravens have 3 turnovers in their own territory...Steelers capitalize off of all 3....Ravens lose the game to the Steelers.....again!

the refs had NOTHING to do with that!

it's over! let it go! move on!

Edited by PITCH52BLACK, 24 January 2011 - 11:03 AM.

#20 Corvus

Corvus

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:03 AM

Go PACK!!!!!!