BloodRaven

The Movie Thread

9,144 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, darklight1216 said:

I suspect he will. 

They seem to be setting this up to be a somber/dark episode. We know from foreign titles that "The last Jedi" refers to at least two individuals. It would be kind of odd to give the film a title like that and a purposefully dark tone and then let both Jedi live. If we assume that the titular Jedi are Rey and Luke then Luke would have to be the one to die.

I think he might make it to 9 but does eventually get it. It's a shame Carrie Fisher passed, Leia was the only one I thought would make it out of this trilogy.

3 hours ago, Cville-Raven said:

I think he might make it to 9 but does eventually get it. It's a shame Carrie Fisher passed, Leia was the only one I thought would make it out of this trilogy.

Will we get a scene where Force Ghost Luke talks to Force Ghost Annakin about how awful sand is?

44 minutes ago, LosT_in_TranSlatioN said:

Will we get a scene where Force Ghost Luke talks to Force Ghost Annakin about how awful sand is?

Funny you mention that. 

9 hours ago, ravensdan said:

What if Luke was to turn in the end. Hence the Red titling. 

That's not a bad idea. He seemed to be in the process of turning since the original trilogy. And that is one way to eliminate a jedi.

It would be a bit cliche to have him make the same choice his father did, but if VII taught us anything it's that Disney is not afraid to copy a winning formula. 

9 hours ago, Cville-Raven said:

The character could still make it out of this trilogy alive a la

Brian O'Connor from the Fast and Furious franchise.

On 15/04/2017 at 5:04 PM, Cville-Raven said:

Luke's gonna die isn't he?

Definitely not now that Carrie isn't in the last one

3 hours ago, usmccharles said:

I really wish I cared about Star Wars

It's not too late to jump on the bandwagon. I saved you a seat.

4 hours ago, darklight1216 said:

It's not too late to jump on the bandwagon. I saved you a seat.

Considering my aim is equal to the stormtroopers, ill prolly end up on the Star Trek wagon

11 hours ago, rossihunter2 said:

Definitely not now that Carrie isn't in the last one

I think he makes it to 9 but he's totally going to die. 

9 minutes ago, Cville-Raven said:

I think he makes it to 9 but he's totally going to die. 

Well given that the last one was very good and he was barely in it I can't say I'm gonna be too angry.

Seriously, go back and watch the original trilogy. He's just as whiny as his prequel father. Even when crap hits the fan he flees and falls off of the grid rather than face his problems. 

Rey is a far and away superior character. 

COME AT ME. 

I love Mark Hamil though, but Luke is just.... written poorly. 

Edited by LosT_in_TranSlatioN

2 minutes ago, LosT_in_TranSlatioN said:

Well given that the last one was very good and he was barely in it I can't say I'm gonna be too angry.

Seriously, go back and watch the original trilogy. He's even more whiny than his prequel father. Even when crap hits the fan he flees and falls off of the grid rather than face his problems. 

COME AT ME. 

giphy.gif

Luke never complained about sand

I do agree that Rey is a superior character and I would even go a step further to say Kylo Ren is superior to Darth Vader as a character. However IMO both of those characters are simply more evolved versions of Luke and Anakin/Vader. Neither would be what they are if they didn't have the templates to go off of. 

12 minutes ago, Cville-Raven said:

giphy.gif

Luke never complained about sand

I do agree that Rey is a superior character and I would even go a step further to say Kylo Ren is superior to Darth Vader as a character. However IMO both of those characters are simply more evolved versions of Luke and Anakin/Vader. Neither would be what they are if they didn't have the templates to go off of. 

Well Luke was washed up on an island. I really wouldn't put it beneath him in the next movie to complain about sand :P 

I would say Vader is inferior to Ren as a character, but Vader is vastly more likeable. At least original trilogy/Rouge One Vader. Ren appears to be far more powerful than Vader was at his development, but Raw and untrained. Vader wasn't really super developed in the original trilogy, and honestly the prequels ruined him for a lot of people. Arguably the most badass fictional villain ever was a whiny pathetic crybaby? 

Luke is likeable, and has his moments(particuarly the sixth film), but overall is just as bad as sand boy was whiny wise. 

I wouldn't go that far. Rey was an established badass before the movies, being capable of holding her own in combat with her staff and being a tech wiz(and a few Mary Sue qualities here and there), but she's also fearless and intelligent. She's like a British halfway house between Han and Luke if you asked me. Tech saviness and smart Alec at times similar to Han while retaining the heroic qualities that Luke possessed in Episode 6. 

Oh, and she's a Kenobi.

Massive plothole in Rouge One: Vader has easily his most badass scene of all time, yet in Star Wars(I'm not calling it a new hope) his lightsaber fight is pathetic. 

4 minutes ago, LosT_in_TranSlatioN said:

I wouldn't go that far. Rey was an established badass before the movies, being capable of holding her own in combat with her staff and being a tech wiz(and a few Mary Sue qualities here and there), but she's also fearless and intelligent. She's like a British halfway house between Han and Luke if you asked me. Tech saviness and smart Alec at times similar to Han while retaining the heroic qualities that Luke possessed in Episode 6. 

Massive plothole in Rouge One: Vader has easily his most badass scene of all time, yet in Star Wars(I'm not calling it a new hope) his lightsaber fight is pathetic. 

lol that's an interesting take

Dude was probably rusty lol. His skills must've regressed in a matter of months or however long the gap in time is. 

7 hours ago, usmccharles said:

Considering my aim is equal to the stormtroopers, ill prolly end up on the Star Trek wagon

It's fine to like both.

Edited by SepticeyePoe

5 hours ago, Cville-Raven said:

Luke never complained about sand.

He just complained that life wasn't fair.

5 hours ago, Cville-Raven said:

Well in Ren's case he literally wouldn't not exist without Anakin.

5 hours ago, LosT_in_TranSlatioN said:

Well Luke was washed up on an island. I really wouldn't put it beneath him in the next movie to complain about sand :P 

I would say Vader is inferior to Ren as a character, but Vader is vastly more likeable. At least original trilogy/Rouge One Vader. Ren appears to be far more powerful than Vader was at his development, but Raw and untrained. Vader wasn't really super developed in the original trilogy, and honestly the prequels ruined him for a lot of people. Arguably the most badass fictional villain ever was a whiny pathetic crybaby? 

Well I guess that's why the imperial officer wasn't afraid to tease Vader about his hokey religion. Speaking of which, you could go even further and say that Vader was just a cool looking costume and lightsaber for much of the first trilogy. Until the end of V, he was barely more developed than Darth Maul.

Oh, and she's a Kenobi.

Why do you think Rey is a Kenobi?

You didn't enjoy that scene when the old men gently prodded one another? I guess they need to remake the originals then. :P

Personally, I see her as inheriting Luke and Anakin's traits moreso. Little Anakin was a technological prodigy and a supernaturally gifted pilot (which for some reason doesn't seem to earn him accusations of being a Marty Stu), and of course all three were, in varying degrees, poor desert, orphans, but everyone knows that.

When I think of Han in the original trilogy I tend to think of sarcasm (to the point of being arguably rude), agression (he DID shoot first after all), illegal activies, and his affection for blasters. He was a pilot too though so the argument could be made.

Spock is going to reign supreme

#ihaveneverseenstarswarsbutatleastknowthatisntcorrect

13 hours ago, LosT_in_TranSlatioN said:

Seriously, go back and watch the original trilogy. He's just as whiny as his prequel father. Even when crap hits the fan he flees and falls off of the grid rather than face his problems. 

COME AT ME. 

Oh Rey and kylo stole the show - people criticise the force awakens for all sorts of things but it created some incredibly intriguing and 3-dimensional characters from the get-go --> maz kanata, bb8 as well as developing characters like general Leia, Han and Luke in really interesting ways

the force awakens, when it comes down to it, will live or die in the annals of history by the success of the rest of the trilogy - if they all suck it will suck by proxy but if they nail it then it will have nailed it...

I just rented Sully and Hacksaw Ridge this week. Liked them both, but went to see The Zookeeper's Wife on Tuesday. Wow what a powerful movie, I really liked it and highly recommend it.

4 hours ago, cobrajet said:

I just rented Sully and Hacksaw Ridge this week. Liked them both, but went to see The Zookeeper's Wife on Tuesday. Wow what a powerful movie, I really liked it and highly recommend it.

Hacksaw Ridge was a lot better than I was expecting it to be.  The beginning was a bit on the long side but the overall meat of the movie more than made up for it.  Great directing and acting.

On 3/21/2017 at 6:52 AM, ravensdan said:

Haha. Is this out on Netflix or Hulu?  I saw so many duds I never watch his movies anymore. 

On 3/20/2017 at 9:17 PM, K-Dog said:

Reign Over Me, will be the exception I will absolutely guarantee it !!

Incredibly well written, fantastic acting and a really great soundtrack to boot !!!

*insert car salesman voice* " What can I do to get you to rent this movie ? "
Seriously though. What is it going to take to get you to see this movie before the boards shut down and post your thoughts here ?

Did you see it yet?
Boards are closing soon...