BloodRaven

The Movie Thread

9,054 posts in this topic

And how was it? Read some reviews. Heard Dicaprio's character made Bane look like an amateur villian.

00.gif Cosmic

it was great! Di Caprio's character wasn't that bad but it was a typical representation of that day, time and era. good movie!

~Mili

it was great! Di Caprio's character wasn't that bad but it was a typical representation of that day, time and era. good movie!

~Mili

May have to go see it then. Thanks!

00.gif Cosmic

Edited by CosmicRedPanda

Lincoln is very nicely done. I have always been impressed with Daniel Day-Lewis as an actor, and his practice of "becoming" the character he portrays through intense study and closeting himself in living the role.

Savages - It teetered between having something going and garbage. In the end the garbage was too much to overcome. I really don't know what Stone was thinking with this movie. Were we really suppose to feel for the three main characters? I felt more for Bale's character in American Psycho.

Blake Lively and Kitsch were pretty awful (hell, I'll throw Hayek & Travolta in that boat as well). The whole Ménage à trois and bro love was useless. Ending sucked.

I almost turned it off in the first five minutes (something I rarely would ever do). In the end, it did keep me entertained.

Can't wait to see Samuel L. Jackson and Leonardo DeCaprio in Django Unchained! I've heard they're absolutely diabolical!

Ofcourse I had to read this right before I watched Total Recall last night. The special effects were fine. But I got tired of watching Colin Farrell get chased, get caught, get chased, almost get caught, get chased again, get caught.

And not that I have anything against Biel & Beckinsale. But you'd think they'd at least get two women who aren't interchangeable with their looks. Half the time, I didn't know who's butt they were trying to show me.

And you are wise not to venture down the sadistic movie path. I've seen things, man. I'm usually good for some unique movie calls though.

throw some out there for me....

Finally got around to seeing the new Batman movie last night. Super awesome except I had a hard time understanding Bane at points. Really annoying as I know that every word out of his mouth is very deliberate.

I'd love to know the "technology" behind that BatWing. I saw the rotor blades on the underbelly. That thing was killer.

Finally got around to seeing the new Batman movie last night. Super awesome except I had a hard time understanding Bane at points. Really annoying as I know that every word out of his mouth is very deliberate.

I'd love to know the "technology" behind that BatWing. I saw the rotor blades on the underbelly. That thing was killer.

You think anyone will be brazen enough to pick up where Nolan left off? "Nightwing" or "Robin"?

Edited by CosmicRedPanda

Id say thats a given. That franchise is worth much cheddar.

That young cop is gonna be Robin, right? Thats the sense I got at least. He swung in that Bat Cave at the end like it.

That young cop is gonna be Robin, right? Thats the sense I got at least. He swung in that Bat Cave at the end like it.

His name is Robin.. So yup

I have mixed feelings on Django Unchained, it's just crazy and well made (usually my kind of movie) but it just comes off like Quentin wanted to get all the N words out of his system.

7/10

His name is Robin.. So yup

Yeah, he's Robin. His full name in the movie is Robin John Blake, but he was going by just his middle and last name.

If they do, I really hope they go the Nightwing route, don't think I can handle the red leotard.

I have mixed feelings on Django Unchained, it's just crazy and well made (usually my kind of movie) but it just comes off like Quentin wanted to get all the N words out of his system.

I thought it was fantastic. It had nothing to do with Tarantino wanting to say the N word as many times as possible, it was about giving an accurate representation of the time period. In all honesty, he probably went lighter with things than he should have to give a truly accurate depiction of the South. Waltz, Foxx, and DiCaprio were all excellent in their roles. It's my third favorite film of the year, behind The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises.

Edited by T3hRaven

7/10

Oh Lawd. First the Walking Dead and now this? The guy named MilitantX liked this movie. Nuff said. Smh

Edited by Purple Nurple

Oh Lawd. First the Walking Dead and now this? The guy named MilitantX liked this movie. Nuff said. Smh

People still whine about Mark Twain using that word so extensively in Huckleberry Finn. I'm not surprised by the reaction nor is he alone in his opinion.

I thought it was fantastic. It had nothing to do with Tarantino wanting to say the N word as many times as possible, it was about giving an accurate representation of the time period. In all honesty, he probably went lighter with things than he should have to give a truly accurate depiction of the South. Waltz, Foxx, and DiCaprio were all excellent in their roles. It's my third favorite film of the year, behind The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises.

Tarantino said in an interview that he toned down his depictions of the plantation brutality because he geared the movie to make a Grammy run.

The Walking Dead racial-revisionism is way worse. How do you set a TV series in ATLANTA and not have any important African Americans?!

exactly! sure, as a black man, there were some portions of the movie that were very sobering for me however, the use of the "N" word in that setting, that time and era in history was quite appropriate. i've seen movies recently that use the "N" word and it had absolutely NOTHING to do with the scene cause black people weren't even in the movie. go figure!

it was a very good movie imo.

~Mili

Why stop there? by all means enlighten me on what black people should find racist. Mili is his own man and doesn't speak for me.

I saw Django a couple of days ago.The N words can seem excessive at first but I think they were just trying to give a close to accurate portrayal to how it was back then. It didn't offend me and I'm black but I can see how it may be offensive to others. It was still a great movie and one of the best of the year.

Wow, I've never thought about that when it comes to Walking Dead. lol

I saw Django a couple of days ago.The N words can seem excessive at first but I think they were just trying to give a close to accurate portrayal to how it was back then. It didn't offend me and I'm black but I can see how it may be offensive to others. It was still a great movie and one of the best of the year.

Wow, I've never thought about that when it comes to Walking Dead. lol

Well it's not a typical white people helping passive black people movie (made by white people for white people) so in that sense it could be seen as somewhat empowering, but it's still hard to sign off on the issue of slavery and its interpretation by white filmmakers.

Why stop there? by all means enlighten me on what black people should find racist. Mili is his own man and doesn't speak for me.

exactly!

~Mili

Well it's not a typical white people helping passive black people movie (made by white people for white people) so in that sense it could be seen as somewhat empowering, but it's still hard to sign off on the issue of slavery and its interpretation by white filmmakers.

i understand your point completely! however, this is where we as black people must continue to teach and instruct our children (in our homes, with our families) about the realities and atrocities of racism, bigotry and slavery! we can't leave that up to film makers...black or white. Spike spoke out against this movie and yet...he NEVER attempted to speak to the issue of slavery in this manner and made millions off the use of the N word earlier on in his career. sure, there were a few parts in Django that as a black man....gave me mixed feelings but over all...my wife and i enjoyed it and encouraged our grown children to go see it as well.

~Mili

i understand your point completely! however, this is where we as black people must continue to teach and instruct our children (in our homes, with our families) about the realities and atrocities of racism, bigotry and slavery! we can't leave that up to film makers...black or white. Spike spoke out against this movie and yet...he NEVER attempted to speak to the issue of slavery in this manner and made millions off the use of the N word earlier on in his career. sure, there were a few parts in Django that as a black man....gave me mixed feelings but over all...my wife and i enjoyed it and encouraged our grown children to go see it as well.

~Mili

That's ideal but a tall order, Hollywood seems innocent but there is an undercurrent with very specific rules for how things are conducted when it comes to race, even when the film doesn't approach the subject. When was the last time you saw Denzel Washington or Will Smith share romantic scenes with a white female lead? thats just one example in one long laundry list. I accept these things for what they are but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

As for Spike? he's a hypocrite and just comes off bitter, I don't buy for a second that race is the issue for him.

exactly! sure, as a black man, there were some portions of the movie that were very sobering for me however, the use of the "N" word in that setting, that time and era in history was quite appropriate. i've seen movies recently that use the "N" word and it had absolutely NOTHING to do with the scene cause black people weren't even in the movie. go figure!

~Mili

Are you pissed off by shows/movies like The Walking Dead that only have token African Americans, despite taking place in majority African American locations, like Atlanta? For example, I went to see Wicked. It was a great play, but I was offended that they replaced Fiyero, a black man in the book, with a white actor. Fiyero's skin color was an important part of the play.

That's ideal but a tall order, Hollywood seems innocent but there is an undercurrent with very specific rules for how things are conducted when it comes to race, even when the film doesn't approach the subject. When was the last time you saw Denzel Washington or Will Smith share romantic scenes with a white female lead? thats just one example in one long laundry list. I accept these things for what they are but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

As for Spike? he's a hypocrite and just comes off bitter, I don't buy for a second that race is the issue for him.

Hancock comes to mind. You can look all the way back to Jim Brown and Raquel Welch in 100 Rifles. Everyone from Andre Braugher to Sidney Poitier. In fact, I often see an overrepresentation of interracial relationships, especially in commercials. Not sure if I can delve much further without getting removed for the Board's COD; PM me if you want to discuss further. Here's a fun list:

http://www.jeffandcorey.com/EGIL.html

again i definitely agree! you know that! lol!

but, not only do i pay attention to the lack of black leading actors being romantic with white leading actresses in movies...but i also notice the lack of black leading women to pair them with. many of our leading ladies such as; Halle, Zoe Saldana and even Kerry Washington (tv show Scandal) to name a few....are always paired with white men. so i definitely understand what you are saying. imo, Django is something different though!

~Mili

Are you pissed off by shows/movies like The Walking Dead that only have token African Americans, despite taking place in majority African American locations, like Atlanta? For example, I went to see Wicked. It was a great play, but I was offended that they replaced Fiyero, a black man in the book, with a white actor. Fiyero's skin color was an important part of the play.

Not really, initially I thought it was poor character development that would start to expand only it didn't and started exposing patterns and old stereotypes, but I don't really care anymore. I can't really speak on that play.

Hancock comes to mind. You can look all the way back to Jim Brown and Raquel Welch in 100 Rifles. Everyone from Andre Braugher to Sidney Poitier. In fact, I often see an overrepresentation of interracial relationships, especially in commercials. Not sure if I can delve much further without getting removed for the Board's COD; PM me if you want to discuss further. Here's a fun list:

http://www.jeffandcorey.com/EGIL.html

Sorry, I wasn't specific, when I said "romantic scenes" I meant more than meaningful stares and batted eyelashes. 100 Rifles might be close, but Welch is mixed and google tells me she plays a Native American so it doesn't really break the golden rule. But that's beside the point, it's only one example. It is what it is.

again i definitely agree! you know that! lol!

but, not only do i pay attention to the lack of black leading actors being romantic with white leading actresses in movies...but i also notice the lack of black leading women to pair them with. many of our leading ladies such as; Halle, Zoe Saldana and even Kerry Washington (tv show Scandal) to name a few....are always paired with white men. so i definitely understand what you are saying. imo, Django is something different though!

~Mili

I don't want to go so far as to say "our" leading ladies etc, I just want to see a natural equilibrium where the best actor and actress get the role regardless of race, and if happens to be a black male and white female they don't treat it differently and don't recast. I remember a few years ago Will Smith said the other lead in Hitch was supposed to go to Cameron Diaz but instead was given to Eva Mendez (not that I would complain either way) because they were nervous about kissing scenes.