Photo

Ed Reed, Hall of Fame?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#21 ed.s52

ed.s52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:04 AM

Issac Bruce a fringe guy? Seriously? Just based on stats he should be a first ballot HOF. 2nd all time in receiving yards, over 1,000 receptions, and over 90 TD's. A lock for the Hall.

#22 Ravenmore74

Ravenmore74

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:08 AM

According to Wiki the ball and his jersey are all ready in HOF of the interception when he broke his own record.
Any player that breaks his own top of the chart record belongs in HOF that is my opinion.
I believe any QB in the league will tell you that, this Safety belongs in hof.

#23 darklight1216

darklight1216

Sith Lord

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:42 AM

Really? I'm sure most people would list Reed in the top 5 all-time safeties, and even Steeler fans would have to put him top 10.

I just am slightly confused as to way they didn't mention Ray in the article. Maybe he is just to obvious?

That's probably it. With Ed Reed you can say this is why he should make it, this is why he might not. With Ray it's like "He'll be a Hall of Famer. The end."

I would be absolutely shocked if Mason made it into the Hall of Fame, ring or no ring.

EdReedTrain.png

#24 Runnin Raven

Runnin Raven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:18 AM

Man, I didn't even think this would be up for debate.
TOUCHDOWN RAVENS!!

#25 MIkepoly

MIkepoly

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:46 AM

Hands down the best that ever done it..
An Official Raven flying over Houston...

#26 Reddawn36

Reddawn36

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,794 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:04 PM

Ed Reed will definitely be in the HoF even if he were to retire today....

Idk why individual performances need superbowl rings.... there is no way a single player can carry a team to the big game.... and the team has to be very solid - good at just about every position to win it..... as far as I see it.... Safety is only responsible for what happens in the secondary on defense

stat wise, it isn't so much about his total numbers... but more of his total numbers compared with the years he's played.... and not to mention how QB's and OC's have to game plan away from reed...

if People honestly consider Troy P a guaranteed HoF (and I'm somewhat one of those people).... then Reed is just about a guaranteed first ballot
Posted Image
thank you theFranchise

-Ravens Fans...... The greatest conspiracy theorists this planet has ever known-

#27 FerrariFan87

FerrariFan87

Trust Me, A Jedi I Am

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,295 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:01 PM

Reed is a HOF lock, even if he retired before this season... he's got more than enough INTs, Return Yards and TDs not to mention his playoff success, despite the absence of a ring.

2550rra.jpg

#28 beasy2487

beasy2487

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:44 PM

Oye so the voting committe don't take kindly to wideouts heh.

We can thank the Steelers and Lynn Swan for the hurdles wideouts have to jump to get in the Hall these days. Dude's stats are pathetic.. PATHETIC (5462 yards in 9 years.. REALLY?!), but he got in off 2 catches and because of that the HOF committee has made it damn near impossible for wideouts to get in. By the Lynn Swan rule, David Tyree should be in the Hall right now. *grumbles*

#29 GTRavens

GTRavens

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:29 PM

Really? I would have thought interceptions were less common back in the day due to the league being run heavy, but then again I wasn't around back in the day :D

They ran the ball more, but passing was a LOT less efficient.

#30 JohnnyBoy8102

JohnnyBoy8102

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:58 PM

Just a small tidbit guys:

Ed Reed has been a 6 time Associated Press All-Pro Selection. ONLY Ronnie Lott and Willie Wood have more total All-Pro selections (7 a piece) at the safety position. They are 2 HOF players.

Also, Since the 1970 MFL/AFL Merger Ronnie Lott is the only Safety to have more All-Pro Selections than Reed.

I think with Ed's 6 pro bowls, 6 AP All Pro Selections, his statistics, playoff performance, and the general perception by fellow players and coaches as the premier playmaker in the secondary for near a decade makes him a lock for Canton.
"There are six, seven players in front of me [financially] at my position that I honestly wouldn't let hold my jock, and I don't even wear one."- Ed Reed

"Your a joke." -Mr. GM

#31 PlayLikeAFan

PlayLikeAFan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:20 PM

Just ask Tom Brady and Peyton Manning if Reed will get in, they will both say YES. Especially after those Int's against the colts in the playoffs(even though one got called back). The only way I see Reed not making it is if he is caught doing drugs or steroids which I'm sure he doesn't do, he is a smart guy and a team leader.

#32 Halden52

Halden52

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

I think Reed is very capable of being in the HOF. He's been one of the toughest SS in the league for all of his career. He's been able to cause problems in both the runnning game and passing game for oposing offenses. He can rack up the int, but also pound the hell out of the other team and cause fumbles. And when the ball is in Reed's hands it's always a posibility the Ravens are getting 6. He was a great punt returner as well. I think he is a complete player and HOF worthy
“A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”-Ray Lewis, greatest linebacker of all time.

#33 -Truth-

-Truth-

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,654 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:02 AM

Mason will have a LONG wait if he ever does get in. The voting committee has a problem voting in WRs and there's already a considerable list of guys who are waiting to get in(Tim Brown, Cris Carter etc.) and even more who'll retire in a few years(Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Torry Holt, Donald Driver, Hines Ward etc.). You also have other fringe guys like Isaac Bruce and Joe Horn.

Isaac Bruce is 2nd in NFL history with 15,208 Receiving Yards, 5th in Receptions with 1,024 and 9th in TDs with 91. He's also a Super Bowl Champion, averaging nearly 1,000 yards for 16 Seasons. Not exactly sure how he's on the fringe with Joe Horn, considering he almost doubles his output in every category.

Aside from that, I have no doubt in my mind Reed will make HOF. In fact, I expect him to be a first ballot selection.

Posted Image

#34 MKdave

MKdave

Lowly peasant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

Just something to think about with the whole 'he doesn't have a ring' thing, you may recall that he was 1 yard away from winning the superbowl with the Titans on a play that didn't involve him. Is that really just cause to keep a man out of the hall of fame? That's part of why I think the selectors put far too much onus on superbowl rings.
You know that saying:' 2/3 of earth is covered by water, the other 1/3 is covered by Ed Reed'? Its not true. He bought a boat.

#35 EdReedFTW

EdReedFTW

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:19 PM

Just something to think about with the whole 'he doesn't have a ring' thing, you may recall that he was 1 yard away from winning the superbowl with the Titans on a play that didn't involve him. Is that really just cause to keep a man out of the hall of fame? That's part of why I think the selectors put far too much onus on superbowl rings.

umm, I assume you're talking about Mason?
"I wanted to make the moves Reed does when he has the ball. I couldn’t do that. He can."-Ronnie Lott

#36 MKdave

MKdave

Lowly peasant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:14 PM

umm, I assume you're talking about Mason?

Well obviously.
You know that saying:' 2/3 of earth is covered by water, the other 1/3 is covered by Ed Reed'? Its not true. He bought a boat.

#37 darklight1216

darklight1216

Sith Lord

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:30 PM

Wasn't it 1 yard from tying? Either way, the lack of a ring isn't going to keep Randy Moss or Terrell Owens out of the Hall of Fame. If Mason was a player of that caliber, he would be a lock too regardless of his championship status. Conversely, I doubt that being a Superbowl champion would have guaranteed induction. He's not dripping in rings, all pro nods, pro-bowls, records or stats. In fact, I think there are about 15 players who aren't even in the HOF who have more receptions, yards, and tds. Some say that name recognition can go a long way, but Mason doesn't even have that.

(Back on topic)
We all know that Ed Reed is the all time leader in interceptions for his team, but did you know that in the regular season the Baltimore Ravens are: 28-10 when Ed Reed gets an interception and 39-47 when he does not? I'm not sure if that will really matter in HOF voting, but I think it's cool.

EdReedTrain.png

#38 FlaccoFlicker

FlaccoFlicker

The Juggernaut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,712 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:31 PM

Hmm no ring? Does Dan Marino mean anything?
Posted Image

Beat Me If You Can,Survive If I let You
StacyKeibler @flaccoflicker No, I am not in Baltimore right now so I wasn't there, but I was glad to see my team rock today!
when asked about the game
StacyKeibler @flaccoflicker READY!!

#39 Purple Nurple

Purple Nurple

Telling It Like It Is Since 1974

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:32 PM

did you know that in the regular season the Baltimore Ravens are: 28-10 when Ed Reed gets an interception and 39-47 when he does not?

That is your all-time favorite stat! lol. Its a gem alright. ;)

newsigg2_zps9e6531bd.jpg

#40 MKdave

MKdave

Lowly peasant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:39 PM

Wasn't it 1 yard from tying? Either way, the lack of a ring isn't going to keep Randy Moss or Terrell Owens out of the Hall of Fame. If Mason was a player of that caliber, he would be a lock too regardless of his championship status. Conversely, I doubt that being a Superbowl champion would have guaranteed induction. He's not dripping in rings, all pro nods, pro-bowls, records or stats. In fact, I think there are about 15 players who aren't even in the HOF who have more receptions, yards, and tds. Some say that name recognition can go a long way, but Mason doesn't even have that.

Yes that is true it was 1 yard from tying assuming they'd kicked the XP.

Well he does have the most all-purpose yards in a season ever which I think is quite an achievement. Not alot of guys are going have records, even Hall of Famers. And he does have excellent stats. He might be a bubble guy, but I think he'd have a strong case if he'd won that superbowl, which I think should mean that he has a strong case either way, given the absurdly close nature of that game. I don't think a guy should be penalized or celebrated for things beyond his control. For example, alot of lineman are in the hall that got there purely because they were on great lines and on teams that won rings, and there are no doubt better lineman not in the hall because their team never got it together. Is the Hall of Fame really doing it's job if this is the case?