Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J-man

Ed Reed, Hall of Fame?

51 posts in this topic

Just ask Tom Brady and Peyton Manning if Reed will get in, they will both say YES. Especially after those Int's against the colts in the playoffs(even though one got called back). The only way I see Reed not making it is if he is caught doing drugs or steroids which I'm sure he doesn't do, he is a smart guy and a team leader.

I think Reed is very capable of being in the HOF. He's been one of the toughest SS in the league for all of his career. He's been able to cause problems in both the runnning game and passing game for oposing offenses. He can rack up the int, but also pound the hell out of the other team and cause fumbles. And when the ball is in Reed's hands it's always a posibility the Ravens are getting 6. He was a great punt returner as well. I think he is a complete player and HOF worthy

[quote name='Ed_Reed20' date='05 July 2010 - 11:48 PM' timestamp='1278391690' post='429697']
Mason will have a LONG wait if he ever does get in. The voting committee has a problem voting in WRs and there's already a considerable list of guys who are waiting to get in(Tim Brown, Cris Carter etc.) and even more who'll retire in a few years(Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Torry Holt, Donald Driver, Hines Ward etc.). You also have other fringe guys like Isaac Bruce and Joe Horn.
[/quote]
Isaac Bruce is 2nd in NFL history with 15,208 Receiving Yards, 5th in Receptions with 1,024 and 9th in TDs with 91. He's also a Super Bowl Champion, averaging nearly 1,000 yards for 16 Seasons. Not exactly sure how he's on the fringe with Joe Horn, considering he almost doubles his output in every category.

Aside from that, I have no doubt in my mind Reed will make HOF. In fact, I expect him to be a first ballot selection.

Just something to think about with the whole 'he doesn't have a ring' thing, you may recall that he was 1 yard away from winning the superbowl with the Titans on a play that didn't involve him. Is that really just cause to keep a man out of the hall of fame? That's part of why I think the selectors put far too much onus on superbowl rings.

[quote name='MKdave' date='09 July 2010 - 01:12 PM' timestamp='1278695550' post='431025']
Just something to think about with the whole 'he doesn't have a ring' thing, you may recall that he was 1 yard away from winning the superbowl with the Titans on a play that didn't involve him. Is that really just cause to keep a man out of the hall of fame? That's part of why I think the selectors put far too much onus on superbowl rings.
[/quote]

umm, I assume you're talking about Mason?

[quote name='EdReedFTW' date='09 July 2010 - 06:19 PM' timestamp='1278695941' post='431028']
umm, I assume you're talking about Mason?
[/quote]

Well obviously.

[quote name='MKdave' date='09 July 2010 - 01:12 PM' timestamp='1278695550' post='431025']
[/quote]
Wasn't it 1 yard from tying? Either way, the lack of a ring isn't going to keep Randy Moss or Terrell Owens out of the Hall of Fame. If Mason was a player of that caliber, he would be a lock too regardless of his championship status. Conversely, I doubt that being a Superbowl champion would have guaranteed induction. He's not dripping in rings, all pro nods, pro-bowls, records or stats. In fact, I think there are about 15 players who aren't even in the HOF who have more receptions, yards, and tds. Some say that name recognition can go a long way, but Mason doesn't even have that.

(Back on topic)
We all know that Ed Reed is the all time leader in interceptions for his team, but did you know that in the regular season the Baltimore Ravens are: 28-10 when Ed Reed gets an interception and 39-47 when he does not? I'm not sure if that will really matter in HOF voting, but I think it's cool.

[quote name='darklight1216' date='09 July 2010 - 02:30 PM' timestamp='1278700202' post='431046']
did you know that in the regular season the Baltimore Ravens are: 28-10 when Ed Reed gets an interception and 39-47 when he does not?
[/quote]

That is your all-time favorite stat! lol. Its a gem alright. ;)

[quote name='darklight1216' date='09 July 2010 - 07:30 PM' timestamp='1278700202' post='431046']
Wasn't it 1 yard from tying? Either way, the lack of a ring isn't going to keep Randy Moss or Terrell Owens out of the Hall of Fame. If Mason was a player of that caliber, he would be a lock too regardless of his championship status. Conversely, I doubt that being a Superbowl champion would have guaranteed induction. He's not dripping in rings, all pro nods, pro-bowls,[b] records or stats.[/b] In fact, I think there are about 15 players who aren't even in the HOF who have more receptions, yards, and tds. Some say that name recognition can go a long way, but Mason doesn't even have that.
[/quote]

Yes that is true it was 1 yard from tying assuming they'd kicked the XP.

Well he does have the most all-purpose yards in a season ever which I think is quite an achievement. Not alot of guys are going have records, even Hall of Famers. And he does have excellent stats. He might be a bubble guy, but I think he'd have a strong case if he'd won that superbowl, which I think should mean that he has a strong case either way, given the absurdly close nature of that game. I don't think a guy should be penalized or celebrated for things beyond his control. For example, alot of lineman are in the hall that got there purely because they were on great lines and on teams that won rings, and there are no doubt better lineman not in the hall because their team never got it together. Is the Hall of Fame really doing it's job if this is the case?

I would have to say that should Ed build his stats, not intentionally, but through the course of the next season or two, then he may just make the Hall of Fame.

Of course, there is always a chance of injury, so I think that Ed should be careful, yet he should put his heart and soul into his work as a Raven.

[quote name='MKdave' date='09 July 2010 - 02:14 PM' timestamp='1278699277' post='431042']
Well obviously.
[/quote]
He asked because you didn't quote anyone in particular talking about Mason, yet commented about him in an Ed Reed topic....

[quote name='darklight1216' date='09 July 2010 - 02:30 PM' timestamp='1278700202' post='431046']

...(Back on topic)
We all know that Ed Reed is the all time leader in interceptions for his team, but did you know that in the regular season the Baltimore Ravens are: 28-10 when Ed Reed gets an interception and 39-47 when he does not? I'm not sure if that will really matter in HOF voting, but I think it's cool.
[/quote]

+1 in the turnover column is going to make your win percentage go up. Interceptions are turnovers and turnovers lead to losses. It doesn't really matter who created the turnover. I bet if we analyzed a cross-section of the NFL and checked the win percentage for teams whose safeties got an interception it would be simiilar, or at least have a similar increase.

[quote name='MKdave' date='09 July 2010 - 02:14 PM' timestamp='1278699277' post='431042']
Well obviously.
[/quote]

hey just asking. Mason hadnt been mentioned since the previous page.

[quote name='BuckWilds' date='09 July 2010 - 11:58 PM' timestamp='1278734303' post='431196']
+1 in the turnover column is going to make your win percentage go up. Interceptions are turnovers and turnovers lead to losses. It doesn't really matter who created the turnover. [b]I bet if we analyzed a cross-section of the NFL and checked the win percentage for teams whose safeties got an interception it would be simiilar, or at least have a similar increase.[/b]
[/quote]
Well I've done one. It's your turn. ^.^

[quote name='ed.s52' date='06 July 2010 - 01:04 AM' timestamp='1278392658' post='429704']
Issac Bruce a fringe guy? Seriously? Just based on stats he should be a first ballot HOF. 2nd all time in receiving yards, over 1,000 receptions, and over 90 TD's. A lock for the Hall.
[/quote]

[quote name='-Truth-' date='09 July 2010 - 12:02 PM' timestamp='1278691343' post='431008']
Isaac Bruce is 2nd in NFL history with 15,208 Receiving Yards, 5th in Receptions with 1,024 and 9th in TDs with 91. He's also a Super Bowl Champion, averaging nearly 1,000 yards for 16 Seasons. Not exactly sure how he's on the fringe with Joe Horn, considering he almost doubles his output in every category.

Aside from that, I have no doubt in my mind Reed will make HOF. In fact, I expect him to be a first ballot selection.
[/quote]

I'm well aware of Bruce's statistics but there have been many productive WRs who have had to wait and/or are STILL waiting to get into the HOF. Cris Carter is an all-time great but he's been waiting so long, has had to campaign for [i]other[/i] WRs to get in.

Staying on topic, I've heard Brian Dawkins considered HOF-worthy. If that's the case, Ed being a HOF player is a no-brainer.

[quote name='darklight1216' date='05 July 2010 - 07:41 PM' timestamp='1278373287' post='429626']
It seems like it's time for some stats. :)

Only nine players have ever topped 1,000 yards on interception returns. Six of them are in the Hall of Fame: Emlen Tunnell, Lem Barney, Paul Krause, Rod Woodson, Herb Adderley, Dick Lane. The other three are Deion Sanders, Darren Sharper, and Ed Reed.

He is the first person in NFL history to return an interception, punt, blocked punt and fumble for a touchdown.

He boasts the two longest INT returns for TDs in history.

He has seven interceptions in seven career postseason games. (Best ratio in NFL history, I believe and tied for third all time)

He is tied with Tom Flynne for most blocked punts returned for touchdowns. (According to Wiki)
[/quote]
Thank you for pointing out the obvious, Reed will be a HOF nominee

I can't believe people are actually having doubts about Ed's HoF chances. Reed's considered a lock for the Hall, even by non-Raven fans. If you want to be concerned with numbers, I'd be more concerned about Polamalu's even if he has the reputation and rings to back it up. Of course, I'm speaking from a strictly numbers based point of view there.

Arguably he is the most valuable player on the field anyone that can score repeatedly playing on any defense is an asset for us.