AwakenTheDemon

The Pro Wrestling Thread

7,488 posts in this topic

Boy is this thread dead, not as active as it used to be with the wrestling fans we have on the forum. Guessing the WWE just isn't doing it for some, and I gotta tell you I'm loving SD Live every week but RAW is so terrible. I know it's two different writing teams, one for RAW and one for SD but how can one be 100 times better than the other? 

Anyone looking forward to Fast Lane this Sunday, or even Wrestlemania this year? I don't care for a third Goldberg/Lesnar match(including the debacle of their first match at Mania 20) and it will be worse if they take the title off Kevin Owens and put it on Goldberg. I'm afraid that will be the case and he will get the CM Punk treatment where Punk had to drop the title to Rock so Cena/Rock 2 could be for the title. Rather see Brock cost Goldberg the match in a DQ finish and let Owens/Jericho settle it for the Title at Mania.

P.S. WWE Extreme Rules is coming to the Baltimore Arena Sunday June 4th and tickets go on sale this Saturday. It is a RAW exclusive PPV. 

17 hours ago, JO_75 said:

Boy is this thread dead, not as active as it used to be with the wrestling fans we have on the forum. Guessing the WWE just isn't doing it for some, and I gotta tell you I'm loving SD Live every week but RAW is so terrible. I know it's two different writing teams, one for RAW and one for SD but how can one be 100 times better than the other? 

Anyone looking forward to Fast Lane this Sunday, or even Wrestlemania this year? I don't care for a third Goldberg/Lesnar match(including the debacle of their first match at Mania 20) and it will be worse if they take the title off Kevin Owens and put it on Goldberg. I'm afraid that will be the case and he will get the CM Punk treatment where Punk had to drop the title to Rock so Cena/Rock 2 could be for the title. Rather see Brock cost Goldberg the match in a DQ finish and let Owens/Jericho settle it for the Title at Mania.

P.S. WWE Extreme Rules is coming to the Baltimore Arena Sunday June 4th and tickets go on sale this Saturday. It is a RAW exclusive PPV. 

Because of the people behind the writing teams. You can tell Shane has a good amount of input on certain aspects of the booking. SD is MUCH MORE enjoyable. I started watching the WWE in late 2006 and SD was the only show I could watch in its entirety. SD has always been my favorite compared to RAW so I'm glad to see them doing well. 

As for the PPV, I see both Lesnar and Jericho interfering in this match. Whoever interferes last determines who wins (if it's Lesnar, then KO and vice versa). 

On 2/28/2017 at 7:07 PM, DomMcRaven said:

Because of the people behind the writing teams. You can tell Shane has a good amount of input on certain aspects of the booking. SD is MUCH MORE enjoyable. I started watching the WWE in late 2006 and SD was the only show I could watch in its entirety. SD has always been my favorite compared to RAW so I'm glad to see them doing well. 

As for the PPV, I see both Lesnar and Jericho interfering in this match. Whoever interferes last determines who wins (if it's Lesnar, then KO and vice versa). 

Much of SD Live's success can be credited to the writing philosophy of Ryan Ward, who was previously head writer of NXT during its peak years.

Ward and Triple H share much of the same beliefs as to how wrestling should be booked, and SD is intentionally booked as "the wrestling show" while RAW is more of a variety show. Even though both are under the WWE umbrella, both are meant to cater to different segments of the audience.

RAW is for casual fans (hence the third hour, for increased ad revenue) while SD is for the hardcore fan.

1 minute ago, theFRANCHISE said:

Much of SD Live's success can be credited to the writing philosophy of Ryan Ward, who was previously head writer of NXT during its peak years.

Ward and Triple H share much of the same beliefs as to how wrestling should be booked, and SD is intentionally booked as "the wrestling show" while RAW is more of a variety show. Even though both are under the WWE umbrella, both are meant to cater to different segments of the audience.

RAW is for casual fans (hence the third hour, for increased ad revenue) while SD is for the hardcore fan.

Thanks for the insight and big ups to the both of them. I hope SD continues to do well because it's much more enjoyable to watch than RAW and I'm not even a hardcore fan by any means. 

If history repeats itself, the Draft should be happening sometime after Wrestlemania. I look forward to see which RAW wrestlers get the SD booking.

46 minutes ago, theFRANCHISE said:

A Wild @theFRANCHISE appeared... OUT OF NOWHERE! Haven't see you on here in a long time.

Thank goodness Triple H has a right hand man who hopefully replaces Kevin Dunn when Vince steps down. From NXT, the Cruiserweight Tournament to the UK Title Tournament, everything feels so different under a Triple H produced show. Even Michael Cole who is terribly over produced by Vince/Dunn on RAW sounded better than he ever sounded in recent years when calling the UK Title Tournament. Plus Triple H hates having 3 hour RAWs, it's amazing how in tune he is with the fans.

49 minutes ago, DomMcRaven said:

Thanks for the insight and big ups to the both of them. I hope SD continues to do well because it's much more enjoyable to watch than RAW and I'm not even a hardcore fan by any means. 

If history repeats itself, the Draft should be happening sometime after Wrestlemania. I look forward to see which RAW wrestlers get the SD booking.

Summertime apparently before Summer Slam is what I hear. Hopefully Cesaro, Sami Zayn and Rusev go to SD. Cesaro has suffered from poor booking for years. Bray Wyatt suffered since his debut until he was on SD where he had a writing team that could book him properly. Rusev could be a monster heel but I don't think they know how to use him. Zayn is the next Daniel Bryan, the biggest underdog overcoming the odds to make it to the top. I would like to see NXT involved where Regal could draft guys that aren't being used on RAW & SD and repackage them and give NXT some star power and name recognition. 

2 hours ago, JO_75 said:

A Wild @theFRANCHISE appeared... OUT OF NOWHERE! Haven't see you on here in a long time.

Thank goodness Triple H has a right hand man who hopefully replaces Kevin Dunn when Vince steps down. From NXT, the Cruiserweight Tournament to the UK Title Tournament, everything feels so different under a Triple H produced show. Even Michael Cole who is terribly over produced by Vince/Dunn on RAW sounded better than he ever sounded in recent years when calling the UK Title Tournament. Plus Triple H hates having 3 hour RAWs, it's amazing how in tune he is with the fans.

Summertime apparently before Summer Slam is what I hear. Hopefully Cesaro, Sami Zayn and Rusev go to SD. Cesaro has suffered from poor booking for years. Bray Wyatt suffered since his debut until he was on SD where he had a writing team that could book him properly. Rusev could be a monster heel but I don't think they know how to use him. Zayn is the next Daniel Bryan, the biggest underdog overcoming the odds to make it to the top. I would like to see NXT involved where Regal could draft guys that aren't being used on RAW & SD and repackage them and give NXT some star power and name recognition. 

I deliberately didn't bold Rusev's name because SD already has a monster heel that could be used in a prominent role if used right: Baron Corbin.

I don't know about Zayn being the next D Bry, but he's the epitome of an underdog. Maybe down the road I could see it, but I don't see Zayn in the main title picture if drafted. However, I totally see him contending for the IC title or in matches right before the main event. 

As for Cesaro, I feel for this dude. For awhile, he's been critical of WWE's booking overall and for good reason. Now, Vince has some strange grudge against wrestlers who have either criticized him or was part of a different wrestling company (TNA, ROH, WCW, ECW, etc.) so I wonder if Cesaro will stay on RAW for the rest of his career. Vince HAS to know SD would be a much better fit for him so I could see him making sure Cesaro suffers. Such a shame. 

The fans are to blame for what happened tonight at Fast Lane. If the fans stopped demanding big names return Kevin Owens doesn't get squashed in under 30 seconds. WWE fans need to start supporting current talent, buy their merchandise, wear their t-shirts. Don't buy any part time superstar merchandise. Don't beg for someone to return. Support the current guys, in which the whole Attitude Era doesn't happen if Vince thought like this back then. Hogan wouldn't have went to WCW, no NWO formation because Vince would have let Hogan win the title and never show up for months. Rock, Austin, Bret Hart, HBK, HHH, all those guys and stars of the Attitude Era never become stars and jobbed to Hogan and Savage, maybe even Ric Flair who wouldn't have went to WCW in 1992 if he could win the title and go home for months before defending it.

12 hours ago, JO_75 said:

The fans are to blame for what happened tonight at Fast Lane. If the fans stopped demanding big names return Kevin Owens doesn't get squashed in under 30 seconds. WWE fans need to start supporting current talent, buy their merchandise, wear their t-shirts. Don't buy any part time superstar merchandise. Don't beg for someone to return. Support the current guys, in which the whole Attitude Era doesn't happen if Vince thought like this back then. Hogan wouldn't have went to WCW, no NWO formation because Vince would have let Hogan win the title and never show up for months. Rock, Austin, Bret Hart, HBK, HHH, all those guys and stars of the Attitude Era never become stars and jobbed to Hogan and Savage, maybe even Ric Flair who wouldn't have went to WCW in 1992 if he could win the title and go home for months before defending it.

The fans are to blame for what's happenING with the current product. Is there a coincidence that the WWE is STILL losing viewers nowadays? Nope. If you watch closely, notice how Reigns and Cena (who Vince loves like they were his sons) have different set of matches than everybody else. What do I mean by this?

Both products now have more promos than actually wrestling for starters (what a joke). Most of the matches that do occur only last about 5 minutes tops. In addition, the ending to these matches are usually weak (interference, DQ, etc.) However if it was a match involving Cena or Reigns, the matches are typically longer with more kickouts which makes the crowd think their matches have higher quality than the others hence the "THIS IS AWESOME" chants. Look at the Royal Rumble for instance. How does Roman Reigns get to be in the Rumble match yet Styles doesn't even though both lost their respective title matches? See the favoritism.

WWE as a whole has become quite predictable, but SD at least tries to throw us a curveball here and there (i.e. Styles defeating Harper last week when everyone and their mama thought the opposite result was going to happen). For me, it's a 50/50 share of blame. 50% for Vince because oversees the entire thing and is too stubborn to change his booking philosophy. I'm totally convinced he no longer cares about the ratings because he just wants to see Cena and Reigns succeed at the expense of the more talented wrestlers. The other 50% goes to the fans for accepting all of this. They claim they want change, but they don't. I could argue they enjoy this product at its current state. It's unfortunate that WWE has no competition because it's clear as day they're complacent. 

On 3/6/2017 at 0:37 PM, DomMcRaven said:

The fans are to blame for what's happenING with the current product. Is there a coincidence that the WWE is STILL losing viewers nowadays? Nope. If you watch closely, notice how Reigns and Cena (who Vince loves like they were his sons) have different set of matches than everybody else. What do I mean by this?

Both products now have more promos than actually wrestling for starters (what a joke). Most of the matches that do occur only last about 5 minutes tops. In addition, the ending to these matches are usually weak (interference, DQ, etc.) However if it was a match involving Cena or Reigns, the matches are typically longer with more kickouts which makes the crowd think their matches have higher quality than the others hence the "THIS IS AWESOME" chants. Look at the Royal Rumble for instance. How does Roman Reigns get to be in the Rumble match yet Styles doesn't even though both lost their respective title matches? See the favoritism.

WWE as a whole has become quite predictable, but SD at least tries to throw us a curveball here and there (i.e. Styles defeating Harper last week when everyone and their mama thought the opposite result was going to happen). For me, it's a 50/50 share of blame. 50% for Vince because oversees the entire thing and is too stubborn to change his booking philosophy. I'm totally convinced he no longer cares about the ratings because he just wants to see Cena and Reigns succeed at the expense of the more talented wrestlers. The other 50% goes to the fans for accepting all of this. They claim they want change, but they don't. I could argue they enjoy this product at its current state. It's unfortunate that WWE has no competition because it's clear as day they're complacent. 

Vince was rumored to buy Ring of Honor, but it doesn't look that way now.  There's Impact wrestling, and El Ray has that Serial Drama "Lucha Underground', there are some weak competition.  And New Japan on AXS with Jim Ross which is good lead in to their fight night.  Then there are the indepents like Maryland Championship Wrestling.  So there are alternatives to the WWE, you just gotta look.

22 hours ago, Nightman said:

Vince was rumored to buy Ring of Honor, but it doesn't look that way now.  There's Impact wrestling, and El Ray has that Serial Drama "Lucha Underground', there are some weak competition.  And New Japan on AXS with Jim Ross which is good lead in to their fight night.  Then there are the indepents like Maryland Championship Wrestling.  So there are alternatives to the WWE, you just gotta look.

I used to enjoy TNA for quite some time (loved the Deletion matches lol). Lucha Underground has that TV show/sitcom? feel to it and I don't mind that one bit. I've watched New Japan here and there and I came away across. I should've made a disclaimer saying that I'm not necessarily a wrestling fan per se. That being said, the alternatives are there, but they don't have the exposure. I truly wished they did because it would bring some competition. When the WWF competed with WCW, the Attitude Era was born. The problem nowadays is that WWE fans ignore every other wrestling company that exists which gives the WWE the green light to be complacent. Just my two cents. 

+Forget about a draft, we have a Superstar Shakeup tonight on RAW and tomorrow night on SD Live! I just hope AJ Styles doesn't end up on RAW with their terrible booking to only be fed to Super Roman. 

In fact I prefer a trade of Reigns for AJ where Roman can get away from the RAW booking and be better booked on SD

AJ stays!!! But I think roman goes to SD now......unfortunately. 

Speaking of which, Braun Strowman is over with me now. That's some grown-man strength right there! 

On 4/10/2017 at 11:21 PM, DomMcRaven said:

AJ stays!!! But I think roman goes to SD now......unfortunately. 

Speaking of which, Braun Strowman is over with me now. That's some grown-man strength right there! 

The Pop he got for when they are putting him in the ambulance and you just hear.... "I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU" and the fans went crazy that he was going to keep beating up Roman. 

2 hours ago, JO_75 said:

The Pop he got for when they are putting him in the ambulance and you just hear.... "I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU" and the fans went crazy that he was going to keep beating up Roman. 

I blame vince more than I do roman. roman will never get over as a babyface and the fans are rejecting him at every turn. Why the WWE has yet to turn him heel is beyond me. But what really perplexes me is how people like Triple H say roman is already a heel because of the fan's reaction. The problem with that thinking is that it ignores how he's getting booked. He's still getting booked as a babyface, but it's clearly not working.