Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[Blogs] Late For Work 6/18: What’s The Risk Behind Harris?

28 posts in this topic

What’s The Risk Behind Harris?

Yesterday at this time (9 am EST), observers believed the Ravens could simply take their pick of three veterans who recently tried out for the team – safety Ken Hamlin and cornerbacks Ken Lucas or Walt Harris.

And pick they did, according to reports, both Hamlin and Harris.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter first reported the Ravens secured an Ed Reed insurance policy by signing Hamlin, a 2007 Pro Bowler. (For more background on the 6-foot-2, 209-pounder, interviews with various outlets are here, here and here.)

But it was Harris who threw the Ravens a curve ball by reportedly turning down a one-year contract offer.

What’s the dilly?

“It is believed Harris didn’t want to play for the veteran minimum at this stage of his career,” said Jamison Hensley of The Baltimore Sun. “Harris, a 14-year veteran, turns 36 during training camp. There is a possibility that he could retire.”

Hensley said earlier this week that of all the tryout players, Harris seemed to impress the Ravens’ coaching staff the most.

That may be the reason why the Ravens are still open to a deal, but would need to increase its offer, explained Hensley. But such a move could be a risky one.

The 35-year-old tore his anterior cruciate ligament during the San Francisco 49ers OTAs last year, causing the 13-year veteran to miss the entire 2009 season. Sound familiar?

Cornerbacks Fabian Washington and Lardarius Webb are also coming back from torn ACLs, and Head Coach John Harbaugh said on WBAL Radio this week that even when they come back to play, if they play earlier in the year, they’re probably not going to be fully back with their strength.

Add Harris to the mix, and that’s a whole lot of ACL madness.

But if General Manager Ozzie Newsome’s team were to offer more than a veteran minimum, one would have to believe that the Ravens’ training staff gave Harris a thorough physical and believe his knee is recovered and ready to go.

Steve McNair Murder Case Won’t Be Reopened

Last month, a former Nashville police officer asked a grand jury to reopen the Steve McNair murder-suicide case.

Thursday, Vincent Hill’s request was denied.

Hill told ESPN’s Elizabeth Merrill that he received word from a three-member Davidson County grand jury panel that there was insufficient proof to move forward and present his 32-page complaint to a full grand jury.

Oher To Receive Congressional Award Gold Medal

Ravens left tackle Michael Oher will be among 252 recipients of the Congressional Award Gold Medal in Washington, D.C., on June 23.

Oher will specifically receive the Horizon Award for his commitment to serving America’s youth.

“Having faced hardship in his own past, Oher serves as an inspiration to millions,” stated a Congressional Award press release.  “Despite the busy schedule of an NFL player, he has devoted much of his time outside of football to working with underprivileged youth-specifically those in foster care.  In a recent visit to a school for troubled children, the Baltimore Ravens’ starting left tackle encouraged the youths to ‘keep fighting, keep overcoming adversity.’”



[url=http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2010/06/18/late-for-work-618-whats-the-risk-behind-harris/]View the full article[/url]
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Way to go, Michael. Another outstanding Raven, and a credit to the team and the city of Baltimore. We are proud of you, and I'm sure that you are a role model for many young people. Keep up the good work.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whats up with not giving Ken Lucas a deal similar to Harris'. Even if he's not up to full speed, I believe he can get there, because he does have gas left in the tank, unlike Harris. He also isn't coming off an injury like Harris. Its like the F.O. loves to take chances every now and then to have a little fun. I know I'll be negged for that last statement, but come on people.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michael Oher, you rock. After the NFL contract and the movie, you see he's committed to helping kids. Outstanding.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
And I mean "still" committed, not sidetracked by fame, fortune... he's the real deal. Or, as Sarah Ellison might say, "The real dilly". :)
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It seemed like the conscensus among fans was that out of the three Lucas would defintely be the pick due to Harris' age and Hamlin bein a safety, not a CB. Then all the sudden two are picked and neither of them are Lucas. I wish I knew what was going on in the F.O's head, It would help to see what they see. If there was a one button click that had no words just a picture that posted with a person scratching their head. This is one of those moments where that would be clicked.

"Add Harris to the mix, and that’s a whole lot of ACL madness" - very true, hope it doesn't turn out to be a Marlin Jackson type of thing if he does sign...
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
These secondary fill-ins are just that - insurance for when Webb and Washington are back. Lucas has more value long-term, so my guess is the front office was going "bargain shopping" with offering Harris a "league minimum" contract. With Harris turning that down, they may still bring Lucas in with a higher offer.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
if I were Harris i would have taken the contract for a chance at a Super Bowl...maybe we will offer him a little more, whats the harm, if its a one year deal with no cap?
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@RavensFan age is a number, we aren't trying to sign a guy long term, we are looking for help for a year or 2. If Lucas could still play we would sign him.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I feel like one too many short-term solutions maybe in the mix. Having in insurance for reed and the CB's is taking up rosters space. Maybe it's just me...If Fisher, Harris, & Hamlin are insurance policies that's three spots young developing talent could have occupied because what I don't want to see is us cutting young players to make room for insurance and then other teams picking them up and them becoming good contributors/succesful. Perhaps I would feel better if we had one good player for all the inurance players, but it is a business and in a perfect world we wouldn't even be dealing with this because Webb & Washington would be ready to go.
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
harris turning down our offer is no big deal.there is still plenty of time
before camp and other teams will cut valuable players at the CB position
because of various reasons like being overloaded at the position or wanting
to give their young players a chance.big mike winning a congressional gold medal
is great,couldn't have went to a better person.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
They say that Tramon Williams verbally agreed to his tender today but no official word yet. If not we should look into signing him.

<[i]Who is "they"? Please cite a source for any and all rumors[/i].>
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harris not signing doesn't really hurt us any. I mean he needs to realize that he's old and isn't going to make as much money as he wants, but he's really just an insurance policy. I think that Gerard could do just as well.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I agree with you RavensFan, hopefully we are just keeping them through training camp. Most likely the people they cut didn't have enough talent to make the final cut. And having some veterans out there this summer will help the young talent they kept develop faster.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WE NEED KEN LUCAS harris is to old and is not gonna be able to keep up with this ravens defense were a young defense even with ray playing at his highest level off intensity were a young defense we dont need him its a waist off money
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
okay if you're 36 years old and have no ring one would think you take the paycut and play a year with a chance to win a championship. w/e really want ken lucas more anyways
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ravensfan, I do agree but there is the other situation of a lockout next year, then you wont get the use of those young players anyway, crappy situation really but I guess as normal, in Ozzie we trust!!!
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If Walt Lucas thinks he is a chooser, all of a sudden after sitting out for a year, then don't offer him anything and let him discover he is a beggar.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[quote name='RideOrDieFan18' date='18 June 2010 - 10:52 AM' timestamp='1276872766' post='423350']
They say that Tramon Williams verbally agreed to his tender today but no official word yet. If not we should look into signing him.

<[i]Who is "they"? Please cite a source for any and all rumors[/i].>
[/quote]

LoL I actually laughed out loud when i saw this, you want my source? okay buddy. here is the link just for you, http://[url="http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d818b1978&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true"]MY "SOURCE"[/url] hopefully that worked. And just to let you know MR. "Moderator" I do my research before i write but i appreciate you doing your job.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
A person with direct knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press that cornerback Tramon Williams verbally agreed to his tender offer this week. The person, who requested anonymity because the deal has not been announced, said the paperwork has yet to be completed.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
From the Code of Conduct (click Guidelines at the top of your page):

[quote]If a member cites articles or information from other sources or areas of the internet, a URL should be posted with no more than a small portion of the article's text. Such a practice provides credibility and attribution to the source of the information.[/quote]

After getting absolutely hammered over false rumors earlier this year, we now request a "source" for all rumors reported here.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites