Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

theFRANCHISE

Ravens Alternate Black Jersey Dates For 2010 Announced

45 posts in this topic

The Ravens will don their alternate black jerseys with white pants for the league-maximum three home games: against the Denver Broncos on 10/10, against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on 11/28, and against the defending Super Bowl Champion New Orleans Saints 12/19.

NFL rules dictate that a team may wear their alternate or throwback jerseys up to three times per season.

Additionally, the Ravens have announced that they will wear purple jerseys during their home preseason games, as well as purple in their remaining home regular season games.

LINK: [url="http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2010/06/09/back-in-black-for-three-games/"]BaltimoreRavens.com[/url]

[quote name='Ravens Lover' date='09 June 2010 - 06:21 PM' timestamp='1276122117' post='420181']
Awesome I think their all black uniforms are some of the coolest in the league
[/quote]

They aren't wearing their all-black uniforms anymore. Their alternate jersey consists of black jerseys and white pants.

Wow really... that sucks.

Why would they get rid of the all black?
Thats my good luck charm in Madden, the Ravens with all black alternate jerseys. :34853_shakehead:

[quote name='ed.s52' date='09 June 2010 - 06:30 PM' timestamp='1276122615' post='420187']

Thats my good luck charm in Madden, the Ravens with all black alternate jerseys. :34853_shakehead:
[/quote]

I had a really great time at the all black blackout night game a few years back, they should bring it back every few years.

[quote name='ed.s52' date='09 June 2010 - 06:30 PM' timestamp='1276122615' post='420187']

Thats my good luck charm in Madden, the Ravens with all black alternate jerseys. [img]http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/public/style_emoticons/default/34853_shakehead.GIF[/img]
[/quote]
The all-black uniform looks a little too much like a college-level uniform since many schools around the nation have all-black either as their primary or alternate uniforms (the Maryland Terrapins come to mind). It's also too similar to the Jaguars and Saints' all-black combo.

Furthermore, the team prefers not to wear black jerseys in divisional games because most NFL teams have black as their alternate jersey. It's all about standing out and leaving an impression on national television. On top of that, the black jerseys make the Ravens look too similar to the Steelers when they play one another.

Were not wearing them against Pit on Sunday night? I guess the tradition of only wearing them at home on prime time is coming to and end, but that's perfectly fine with me just as long as we continue to bring them out once in a while.
:argdancingravensblueonwkk8:

[quote name='theFRANCHISE' date='09 June 2010 - 02:39 PM' timestamp='1276123196' post='420194']
The all-black uniform looks a little too much like a college-level uniform since many schools around the nation have all-black either as their primary or alternate uniforms (the Maryland Terrapins come to mind). It's also too similar to the Jaguars and Saints' all-black combo.

Furthermore, the team prefers not to wear black jerseys in divisional games because most NFL teams have black as their alternate jersey. It's all about standing out and leaving an impression on national television. On top of that, the black jerseys make the Ravens look too similar to the Steelers when they play one another.
[/quote]
Yea I understand why they wouldnt pull them out for division games so we can rep our colors and all that, and to bear a complete distinction on which team is which, I just thought they looked cool and, like I said, are my Madden good luck charm.

Really? not doing it for the Steelers game?[img]http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/public/style_emoticons/default/34853_shakehead.GIF[/img] Lets where black for a game that will be over before it began (Bucs) That makes sense....

Love the black-outs, even though the black jerseys on white pants are more appeasing to the eye.

Looks like they're listening and giving the fans what they want.

:ICONATOR_01040da29c18a4eed76047

I'm just happy that they were thoughtful enough to announce this ahead of time, on their official site, instead of making us try to find out about it through rumors and sub-par media like the Baltimore Sun.

I know it's such a small and trivial thing that shouldn't matter to the fans, but it does. Some of us actually like to try and organize things such as doing a "blackout" where the entire stadium wears black. Unfortunately, you still get a lot of people who don't do it.

But either way, it's nice to know ahead of time. Whether a kid wants to make a clever sign using a play on the jersey colors... or anything of that sort.

Black on White for games that don't even matter, except the Saints game??? I'd rather wear all black against teams that are rivals of us then to wear our alternate jerseys when we're playing against smaller, no attention teams. Bleahh

[quote name='T-ray' date='09 June 2010 - 08:57 PM' timestamp='1276131458' post='420288']
Black on White for games that don't even matter, except the Saints game??? I'd rather wear all black against teams that are rivals of us then to wear our alternate jerseys when we're playing against smaller, no attention teams. Bleahh
[/quote]
The whole point of not wearing black against rivals is to show pride...almost everyone has a black jersey.

The alternatives to (non-divisional) home games other than the Broncos/Saints/Bucs would've been the Dolphins or the Bills.

Thats not the point I'm making. I completely agree and can see where the All-Black unis are blending in too much, but I'm trying to say that I'd rather see them in that than to see us playing against 2 opponents that are so easy to beat its not even funny, and one thats not even in our own conference, let alone Division. Why not wear these unis when we're going up against top-notch, rival opponents??

Edit: I just saw the second part of your post, Franchise, and I completely agree with what they did now. The Dolphins and Bills are not any better than the other two, not including the Saints, who is probably the number 1 team in NFL

[quote name='T-ray' date='09 June 2010 - 09:05 PM' timestamp='1276131907' post='420291']
Thats not the point I'm making. I completely agree and can see where the All-Black unis are blending in too much, but I'm trying to say that I'd rather see them in that than to see us playing against 2 opponents that are so easy to beat its not even funny, and one thats not even in our own conference, let alone Division. Why not wear these unis when we're going up against top-notch, rival opponents??
[/quote]

BC our bigger opponents need to be taught that purple = pain. ;)

Don't really agree much with wearing the black vs the Saints being that we will look very similar being that they will be wearing black pants and white jerseys

[quote name='PurpleChaos' date='09 June 2010 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1276132500' post='420299']
Don't really agree much with wearing the black vs the Saints being that we will look very similar being that they will be wearing black pants and white jerseys
[/quote]
Golden helmets will be pretty easy to disinguish though. What I don't agree with is wearing them against the Broncos in October at 1 pm when it will still be bright and sunny and possibly warm barring any rain or clouds.

Oh well, at least its only unis we're talking about. Its not like we just lost an important player, so stay positive haha

[b]Love these jerseys[/b].

I dunno whether its coz I'm from New Zealand (our national sports strip is all black) or just how much it suits our team considering the name...

Either way, they look amazing!

[quote name='BloodRaven' date='09 June 2010 - 08:01 PM' timestamp='1276128075' post='420256']
Hopefully this means the end of the white jersey/black pants combo.
[/quote]
Ewwwwwwww, no. White on white sucks. The black pants make them stand out.

Have we ever worn black tops with purple pants. I think that would be a great uniform because that resembles our style more. Happy to hear we are wearing the black jerseys tho.

The only reason why I like these jerseys so much is because everytime I see them, I think of Ed Reed running for 106 yards

[quote name='theFRANCHISE' date='09 June 2010 - 06:39 PM' timestamp='1276123196' post='420194']

[/quote]
I guess that is your opinion. The All black is the best to me. The last time I check the stoolers wear black and old dirty school bus yellow not black and purple, no way to confuse that. The original all black uniform from 2004 Pitch Black! Black jersey with white pants looks like the team forget their pants.

[center][img]http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs244.snc1/9133_1130924596625_1332561619_30342090_5207765_s.jpg[/img][/center]

But then again I may be a lot more in favor of the all black since all of my Raven's picture but one are of players wearing the all black and all of my fantasy football teams are named the Pitch Black All-Star's.

I don't see why the uniforms matter that much. The Ravens don't play any better wearing their all-black uniforms and have experienced some of their worst, most painful losses recently wearing them.

I don't care if the team wears purple versions of Detroit's ugly practice jersey. Just as long they win.

[quote name='Ed_Reed20' date='10 June 2010 - 07:09 PM' timestamp='1276211384' post='420746']
I don't see why the uniforms matter that much. [b]The Ravens don't play any better wearing their all-black uniforms and have experienced some of their worst, most painful losses recently wearing them.[/b]

I don't care if the team wears purple versions of Detroit's ugly practice jersey. Just as long they win.
[/quote]
That's because of who we've played wearing them. We used to only wear them in prime time against tough teams, hence the losses. Now, it's the Broncos, Bucs and Saints although the Saints could be a legitimate threat to us even at home.

[quote name='RavensAllTheWay' date='10 June 2010 - 08:33 PM' timestamp='1276216425' post='420767']
That's because of who we've played wearing them. We used to only wear them in prime time against tough teams, hence the losses. Now, it's the Broncos, Bucs and Saints although the Saints could be a legitimate threat to us even at home.
[/quote]

Fair enough. But does it [b]really[/b] matter whether the team wears them or not?

[quote name='Ed_Reed20' date='10 June 2010 - 08:40 PM' timestamp='1276216831' post='420771']
Fair enough. But does it [b]really[/b] matter whether the team wears them or not?
[/quote]
I'm not saying it matters.

Because honestly, I agree that it doesn't.

[quote name='XxSizzleXx' date='10 June 2010 - 11:01 PM' timestamp='1276225261' post='420819']
Woulda thought they would be repping them when the Steelers come to town on Sunday night.
[/quote]

I don't think we've ever worn alternate jerseys against the Steelers. As Franchise said, it's all about purple passion within the division. (No one was complaining in '04 against the Browns, though)

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OtbaqiG28nI/SSnRI0Io0eI/AAAAAAAAAM4/XWt5XsYibUQ/s400/edreed.jpg[/img]

[quote name='berad' date='10 June 2010 - 11:03 PM' timestamp='1276225438' post='420821']
I don't think we've ever worn alternate jerseys against the Steelers. As Franchise said, it's all about purple passion within the division. (No one was complaining in '04 against the Browns, though)

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OtbaqiG28nI/SSnRI0Io0eI/AAAAAAAAAM4/XWt5XsYibUQ/s400/edreed.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Or in 2005 against The Pack:

[img]http://www.unlockedsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/reed.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Ed_Reed20' date='10 June 2010 - 11:06 PM' timestamp='1276225587' post='420824']
Or in 2005 against The Pack:
[/quote]

Love that game. Bad season, great game [i](And, on a side note, the Minnesota game the next week was even more satisfying)[/i]. I was talking about division opponents, but I'll take it!! :D

[quote name='berad' date='10 June 2010 - 11:08 PM' timestamp='1276225738' post='420826']
Love that game. Bad season, great game [i](And, on a side note, the Minnesota game the next week was even more satisfying)[/i]. I was talking about division opponents, but I'll take it!! :D
[/quote]

LOL! I just wanted an excuse to post that picture.

[quote name='Ed_Reed20' date='10 June 2010 - 08:40 PM' timestamp='1276216831' post='420771']
[/quote]

All that really matters is that the team wins. But there is more to a football game experience than the game itself. For some it's tailgating, Ray's dance, cheerleaders! Wearing a different unitform is one of those things that go with the whole experience and the Black Out has generally been associated with something special. For some it's exciting, others no big dead.

What I would like to know is, why does every topic, no matter how innocent or trivial, turn into a freaking debate where one person criticizes another for an opinion. If unis don't mean anything to you, don't read the topic and let others have their opportunity to express what feel about something. Geez! :34853_brickwall:

[quote name='Rinbee' date='11 June 2010 - 01:44 PM' timestamp='1276278256' post='421014']
All that really matters is that the team wins. But there is more to a football game experience than the game itself. For some it's tailgating, Ray's dance, cheerleaders! Wearing a different unitform is one of those things that go with the whole experience and the Black Out has generally been associated with something special. For some it's exciting, others no big dead.

What I would like to know is, why does every topic, no matter how innocent or trivial, turn into a freaking debate where one person criticizes another for an opinion. If unis don't mean anything to you, don't read the topic and let others have their opportunity to express what feel about something. Geez! :34853_brickwall:
[/quote]

Aren't people allowed to express their opinions that uniforms don't matter much?

As long as no poster violates the Code of Conduct, they are free to express their opinions - or lack of one.

When I think of the all black uniforms I think of us playing lights out football against the Patriots. I think of Boller playing better than Brady and Willis McGahee using Junior Seau as his lead blocker lol

P.s. Yes the game was lost but that was the refs and rex

[quote name='Purple Nurple' date='14 June 2010 - 10:50 AM' timestamp='1276541427' post='421726']
Ah yes, the timeout. I think I may have kicked a dog after that. JK
[/quote]

Hahahahahaha, I work for PETA, obtaining your information... now.

Jk.

I love the black jerseys because I think they are good luck. ...being a little superstitious. I too recall E. Reed's 106-yard INT-return for a TD when I remember our black jerseys.