Photo

Drafting Technique

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,821 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:07 AM

Was wondering if you guys employ draft strategies/techniques. Here are some of my drafting strategies.

1. Draft Kicker in last round - Given
2. Do not draft a Defense - Wait until preseason plays out to see who the roster casualty will be.
3. Start the TE frenzy. Take your pick of TE. Clark/Witten/Gates/Gonzalez prove to be much more valuable than the middle of the pack guys. Once you pick one, everybody goes TE. Therefore you aren't missing out on the other positions.
4. Draft Quarterback late - never early. - 3rd round the earliest. 4th-5th preferred. A mid-draft quarterback's value is much greater than a mid-draft running back.
5. Stock up on starting RBs. - RB's are harder to come by in free agency, Serviceable WR's are always available in the free agent market. I can't tell you how many times I see people wanting trades because one of their RBs got injured or benched, and can't get his backup off the waiver wire.

Won another competitive league this year, so I won't be changing my mold. So what are your guys drafting strategies?
Posted Image

#2 Clutch Ravens

Clutch Ravens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:08 AM

My strategy is essentially BPA.

Obviously I take need into account, but primarily I draft on ability to score. In the main league I'm in you only get Points for Touchdowns/Field Goals/Extra Points placing big value tags on redzone/frequently scoring players, not those who get a lot of yards/touches.

I definitely need to employ a new strategy despite my always getting a consensus A grade on my draft/team. The reason being; I've started the last 2 seasons 6-0 before having rather catastrophic collapses.

Ohh, and I place a higher value on rookie players because you get to retain them for 3 years. I might change up the strategy this year and grab me some Ryan Matthews in the first couple rounds.

I need me a new strategy to shake my "Perennial Underachievers" tag thanks to my explosive starts and sputtering ends.
2013 BR.com Mock Draft: Arizona Cardinals
#7 Overall - Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon
#38 Overall - Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
#94 Overall - Corey Lemonier, OLB, Auburn
#113 Overall - E.J. Manuel, QB, FSU
#144 Overall - Joseph Randle, RB, OSU
#178 Overall - Jordan Mills, OT/G, Louisiana Tech
#218 Overall - Greg Reid, CB, FSU
#224 Overall - Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas

#3 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,751 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:16 AM

Was wondering if you guys employ draft strategies/techniques. Here are some of my drafting strategies.

1. Draft Kicker in last round - Given
2. Do not draft a Defense - Wait until preseason plays out to see who the roster casualty will be.
3. Start the TE frenzy. Take your pick of TE. Clark/Witten/Gates/Gonzalez prove to be much more valuable than the middle of the pack guys. Once you pick one, everybody goes TE. Therefore you aren't missing out on the other positions.
4. Draft Quarterback late - never early. - 3rd round the earliest. 4th-5th preferred. A mid-draft quarterback's value is much greater than a mid-draft running back.
5. Stock up on starting RBs. - RB's are harder to come by in free agency, Serviceable WR's are always available in the free agent market. I can't tell you how many times I see people wanting trades because one of their RBs got injured or benched, and can't get his backup off the waiver wire.

Won another competitive league this year, so I won't be changing my mold. So what are your guys drafting strategies?

I use all of those strategies and they've led me to two championships in competitive leagues the past two seasons and a 3rd place finish in another. Here are two more:

1) Don't draft too many players on the same team - It may only affect you that one bye week but in a competitive league, but that one loss could be the difference between making play-offs.

2) By round 6, you should have 3 RBs, 2 WRs and a QB - TEs can wait, especially with so many teams having productive TEs, and RBs are the most important position on your team.

Edited by Ed_Reed20, 28 April 2010 - 10:17 AM.

"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

#4 FlaccoFlicker

FlaccoFlicker

The Juggernaut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,712 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:26 AM

i dont have a technique maybe thats why i dont do well and i always pick favorites so i usually have a decent amount of ravens worked well last year thanks to rice and mcgahee early lol
Posted Image

Beat Me If You Can,Survive If I let You
StacyKeibler @flaccoflicker No, I am not in Baltimore right now so I wasn't there, but I was glad to see my team rock today!
when asked about the game
StacyKeibler @flaccoflicker READY!!

#5 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,821 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:47 AM

i dont have a technique maybe thats why i dont do well and i always pick favorites so i usually have a decent amount of ravens worked well last year thanks to rice and mcgahee early lol

This should be your new number one strategy:

1. Don't pick favorites!
Posted Image

#6 FlaccoFlicker

FlaccoFlicker

The Juggernaut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,712 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:49 AM

This should be your new number one strategy:

1. Don't pick favorites!

lol true i will definitly utilize that rule this year tho ray rice might still be in my top 3
Posted Image

Beat Me If You Can,Survive If I let You
StacyKeibler @flaccoflicker No, I am not in Baltimore right now so I wasn't there, but I was glad to see my team rock today!
when asked about the game
StacyKeibler @flaccoflicker READY!!

#7 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,821 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:51 AM

My strategy is essentially BPA.

Obviously I take need into account, but primarily I draft on ability to score. In the main league I'm in you only get Points for Touchdowns/Field Goals/Extra Points placing big value tags on redzone/frequently scoring players, not those who get a lot of yards/touches.

I definitely need to employ a new strategy despite my always getting a consensus A grade on my draft/team. The reason being; I've started the last 2 seasons 6-0 before having rather catastrophic collapses.

Ohh, and I place a higher value on rookie players because you get to retain them for 3 years. I might change up the strategy this year and grab me some Ryan Matthews in the first couple rounds.

I need me a new strategy to shake my "Perennial Underachievers" tag thanks to my explosive starts and sputtering ends.

I see that happen a lot. Teams that look great for the first several weeks then die down over the span of the season. This is usually due to lack of depth at key positions (usually RB), too many players on the same week, bad bye week set up.

And you being in a keeper league changes the name of the game. I've tried keeper leagues, but there's something about starting "fresh" every year which I prefer.

Sometimes changing draft strategies is the best way to go. It's best to tweak it over the years as you learn from your mistakes.

Edited by PuRock, 28 April 2010 - 10:51 AM.

Posted Image

#8 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,821 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:55 AM

lol true i will definitly utilize that rule this year tho ray rice might still be in my top 3

Ray Rice is #3 on my board this year. He just gets the catches and the carries and should improve upon his touchdowns.

It's pretty much a consensus of the top two picks. And AP owners next year should be happy to see Chester Taylor go (as he stole the catches). Chris Johnson and AP (Who goes #1 is a personal preference - I still like AP).

But after those two guys, the 3rd guy is sort of up in the air. But if your league gives PPR. Than It's hard to argue that Rice isn't that #3 guy.

On a side note, I never get to draft the Ravens defense. Every year somebody drafts them in the 6th round, automatic.
Posted Image

#9 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,821 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:05 AM

1) Don't draft too many players on the same team

I've learned from this mistake before. The worst combination is QB & WR. Never ever do this. If you find value in a Reggie Wayne and you have Peyton Manning. Find a way to trade Reggie Wayne for Andre Johnson then. You live by the gun, you die by the gun.

2) By round 6, you should have 3 RBs, 2 WRs and a QB

Agreed.

Off topic but last year in my big money 12 team league. I got Matt Schaub as the 12th pick in the 6th round! My first QB drafted, what a steal. McNabb, Romo, Ryan, Palmer, Cutler were among the ten QB's drafted before him. The Steelers Defense was drafted before Schaub.

Doesn't look like I will be drafting Schaub this year as he is high value this year.

Edited by PuRock, 28 April 2010 - 11:06 AM.

Posted Image

#10 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,751 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

I've learned from this mistake before. The worst combination is QB & WR. Never ever do this. If you find value in a Reggie Wayne and you have Peyton Manning. Find a way to trade Reggie Wayne for Andre Johnson then. You live by the gun, you die by the gun.

Agreed.

Off topic but last year in my big money 12 team league. I got Matt Schaub as the 12th pick in the 6th round! My first QB drafted, what a steal. McNabb, Romo, Ryan, Palmer, Cutler were among the ten QB's drafted before him. The Steelers Defense was drafted before Schaub.

Doesn't look like I will be drafting Schaub this year as he is high value this year.

I agree on both counts. Against all instincts, I panicked and reached for Cutler in the 4th round in a 16-team league last year. To top it off, my other QB was Trent Edwards. Luckily, I was stacked everywhere else and had Patrick Willis as one of my two IDP options. Still, watching Cutler bum it up when I knew I could have drafted another RB or WR haunted me all year.

Posted Image

#11 Skip727

Skip727

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:19 AM

My league you have to have 2 QBs, 4RBs, 4WRs, 2TE, 2 Ds and 2 Ks on the roster. So the strategy is to go with WRs and Rbs in the 1st few rounds with the occasional elite QB thrown in and draft Ds and Ks in the last rounds. A run on TEs starts around the 4th round. Our league has been in existence for 4 years and we have had 4 different champs so different strategies work for different folks but that is what makes it fun.

One last thing, what sites do fantasy footballers use to prepare for the draft and when do you start your preparation?

Edited by Skip727, 29 April 2010 - 07:20 AM.

Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

#12 Reddawn36

Reddawn36

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,802 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:57 AM

Last year I ended up with Chris Johnson, Ray Rice, Ricky Williams, Matt Schaub, Andre Johnson... I don't remember who my other players were, TE changed alot, DST changed alot... K changed every once in a while... I think I ended up with Cundiff

I dominated in my league to say the least
Posted Image
thank you theFranchise

-Ravens Fans...... The greatest conspiracy theorists this planet has ever known-

#13 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,751 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:46 AM

One last thing, what sites do fantasy footballers use to prepare for the draft and when do you start your preparation?

I play all my leagues on Yahoo and their analysis is always funny in addition to being very informative.

Rotoworld always provides football news with a fantasy spin and ESPN's free material is usually great too.

I've bought magazines ever since I started FF but probably won't be doing it anymore. I followed a few tips on a four-page fantasy football preview on ESPN's magazine and thats all I needed to dominate both my leagues last season.

Edited by Ed_Reed20, 29 April 2010 - 11:47 AM.

Posted Image

#14 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,821 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:55 AM

Cbssportsline is the site I swear by. Our big money league is on a paid league on cbssportsline. But I like their articles and rankings.

I get to confused on ESPN, but I do check out Mr. Roto.

About a month before the draft I export the top 200 players rankings to an excel spreadsheet and according to articles I read, gut feelings, expectations, preseason outcomes, I move players up and down. So come draft day I have a personalized BPA draft list.

Edited by PuRock, 29 April 2010 - 11:55 AM.

Posted Image

#15 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,751 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:00 PM

Cbssportsline is the site I swear by. Our big money league is on a paid league on cbssportsline. But I like their articles and rankings.

I get to confused on ESPN, but I do check out Mr. Roto.

About a month before the draft I export the top 200 players rankings to an excel spreadsheet and according to articles I read, gut feelings, expectations, preseason outcomes, I move players up and down. So come draft day I have a personalized BPA draft list.

Forgot about Sportsline. I go their for solid analysis in all the fantasy leagues I play. I do wonder about their writers at times though...

I do something with my rankings too.

Posted Image

#16 AZravensfan

AZravensfan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:12 PM

I havent done FF in such a long time...I have got to start again this year! You guys gave me the motivation, making it seem all fun and all lol.

@Ed_reed Arsenal tied Man City last night 0-0, they should have scored something though! There attack was just off :(.

Edited by AZravensfan, 29 April 2010 - 12:13 PM.

#17 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,751 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:18 PM

I havent done FF in such a long time...I have got to start again this year! You guys gave me the motivation, making it seem all fun and all lol.

@Ed_reed Arsenal tied Man City last night 0-0, they should have scored something though! There attack was just off :(.

Fantasy sports so fun. There's nothing sweeter than checking live updates or scores from the previous day and seeing the majority of your team put together monster performances. Then again, there's nothing worse than your team laying a collective stinker.

As for Arsenal, I've checked out mentally on this season. Injuries, suspensions and a lack of testicular fortitude have hurt the team so many times, it hurts to watch. I'm just praying for some big incoming transfers after, before or during the World Cup.

Posted Image

#18 Romo Ravens

Romo Ravens

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:58 PM

I read this a couple of days ago. This first caught my eye and I've been meaning to ask you how this works for you. I was kind of thinking about doing this as well, but taking the top 200 from ESPN since that's what I use for FF.

That seems very interesting. Is BPA a smart technique in FF? I always used to go QB in the first because I just couldn't pass up on Brees. He's me favorite QB, second being Flacco. But I've realized that you need high scoring RB's in FF, so I'm planning on stocking up on them this year. I always used to just go with the "flashy" player when my pick came around. maybe that's why I haven't been doing so well lately lol.

It doesn't hurt I get to keep Ray Rice this year since I got him in the 6th last year :)

Edited by Romo Ravens, 30 April 2010 - 12:59 PM.

#19 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,751 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:47 PM

I read this a couple of days ago. This first caught my eye and I've been meaning to ask you how this works for you. I was kind of thinking about doing this as well, but taking the top 200 from ESPN since that's what I use for FF.

That seems very interesting. Is BPA a smart technique in FF? I always used to go QB in the first because I just couldn't pass up on Brees. He's me favorite QB, second being Flacco. But I've realized that you need high scoring RB's in FF, so I'm planning on stocking up on them this year. I always used to just go with the "flashy" player when my pick came around. maybe that's why I haven't been doing so well lately lol.

It doesn't hurt I get to keep Ray Rice this year since I got him in the 6th last year :)

Not all the time. Situation is the key word for me. Drafting good players on good teams is fine but sometimes, it's better to have a decent player on a putrid team simply because he'll have more opportunities to touch the football.

I remember Fred Jackson, Jamaal Charles and Mike Sims-Walker being the difference in winning me some match-ups last season.

Posted Image

#20 Romo Ravens

Romo Ravens

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:35 PM

I know.. I always tend to fall for those who I think will hve a monster season, or those who are very popular, and they always end up doing not so well for me. How do you rank Ed_Reed? Do you put them all in the top 200, or when draft day comes, do you just pick from the list during the draft? I'm trying to get better.