Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RavensLover

Meaning Behind The Ravens Logo

28 posts in this topic

[quote name='H8R' date='01 November 2009 - 03:16 PM' timestamp='1257106581' post='270237']
We are the ravens, we have a raven as a logo. :argdancingravensblueonwkk8:
[/quote]

Don't forget to mention the B. Which stands for Baltimore.

It was a fan submission; the Ravens are named after Edgar Allen Poe's poem titled "The Raven."

Poe lived and died in Baltimore.

[quote name='Ravnet' date='01 November 2009 - 03:32 PM' timestamp='1257107549' post='270367']
It was a fan submission; the Ravens are named after Edgar Allen Poe's poem titled "The Raven."

Poe lived and died in Baltimore.
[/quote]
Damn! I was going to say that! I don't even live in B'More and I know that.

[quote name='Chi_Town_Raven' date='01 November 2009 - 04:17 PM' timestamp='1257110278' post='270696']
Damn! I was going to say that! I don't even live in B'More and I know that.
[/quote]

Props to you. A lot of people know that outside of Baltimore. If you didn't know that, a big hint to Poe being the influence behind the name can be found in the names of the mascots: Edgar, Allan, and Poe.

[quote name='AwakenTheDemon' date='01 November 2009 - 04:41 PM' timestamp='1257111696' post='270754']
Props to you. A lot of people know that outside of Baltimore. If you didn't know that, a big hint to Poe being the influence behind the name can be found in the names of the mascots: Edgar, Allan, and Poe.
[/quote]
We are studying him in Lit too.

Fun stuff. I could never get into his stuff. Reading Fall of the House of Usher and The Pit and the Pendulum had to have been some of the most tedious reading I have ever done.

The Baltimore Ravens. The only pro sports team to be named after a work of literature.

If the OP is about the shield it is a driviative of the Maryland State flag.

[quote name='RavensLover' date='01 November 2009 - 03:14 PM' timestamp='1257106453' post='270219']
Is there anyone out out there that can give me the meaning and or theory behind the Baltimore Ravens Logo?
[/quote]
Edgar Allen Poe poem the Raven. Many people obsessed with Poe here.
There was also a rock band in the 80's named the Ravyns from the Baltimore area

[i][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PraGzAzpK3o"]Raised on the Radio[/url][/i] [i]lol[/i]
My son who is 17 loves Poe's stuff.

[quote name='H8R' date='01 November 2009 - 01:16 PM' timestamp='1257106581' post='270237']
We are the ravens, we have a raven as a logo. :argdancingravensblueonwkk8:
[/quote]

LMAO, that is funny. I was thinking the same thing.

Our proud Baltimore Ravens Crest is modeled after our state crest baring our state colors adding a "B" and a "R". The Maryland State Flag is the only state flag based on heraldic emblems. The design of the flag is taken from the shield in the coat of arms of the Calvert family who were the colonial proprietors of the state of Maryland. The coat of arms adopted by George Calvert, the first Lord Baltimore, included a shield that combined the gold and black colors of his paternal family. The red and white colors are of his maternal family, The Crosslands.

The arms of the Calvert and Crossland families are displayed in diagonally opposing quadrants of the flag.

Since the state of Maryland was war torn during the American Civil War. Some fought for the south and wore red and white to symbolizing succession and others wore gold and black in battle in favor of the union. It is also believed that the flag displays red and white combined with black and gold to symbolize how the divisions between the citizens of Maryland, came together in reconciliation and a reuniting of all the citizens of Maryland.

The design derived from the Calvert coat of arms was flown October 11, 1880, in Baltimore, at a parade celebrating the 150th anniversary of the founding of the city. It was also flown October 25, 1888 at the Gettysburg battlefield, in a ceremony dedicating monuments to members of the Maryland regiments of the Army of the Potomac.

In October 1889, the Fifth Regiment, Maryland National Guard, adopted a flag in this form as its regimental colors and became the first organization to adopt officially what is today the Maryland flag.

http://www.worldflags101.com/united-states/maryland.aspx

Calvert Coat of Arms / Family Crest
http://www.thetreemaker.com/family-coat-c/calvert.html

[img]http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr297/Daimeon_Chambers/Baltimore-crest1.gif[/img][img]http://www.plaquesandpatches.com/images/medium/state_seals/maryland-state-seal_medium.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.tradebit.com/usr/heraldics/pub/9001/calvert-coat-of-arms.jpg[/img][img]http://www.thetreemaker.com/coats/Crossland-Englandt.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.netstate.com/states/symb/flags/images/md_fi.gif[/img]

[quote name='AwakenTheDemon' date='01 November 2009 - 04:41 PM' timestamp='1257111696' post='270754']
[/quote]
There's more than one mascot? I thought there was only Poe. >.> Now can anyone tell me why his number is 103?

[quote name='darklight1216' date='02 November 2009 - 01:47 PM' timestamp='1257187634' post='271746']
Oh, okay. >.> But where are the elusive Edgar and Allen?
[/quote]

I thought they got cut last year, anyone else see Rise and Conquer in the endzone yesterday? It was raining too hard to get the camera out of the ziplock under my poncho.

[quote name='darklight1216' date='02 November 2009 - 01:47 PM' timestamp='1257187634' post='271746']
Oh, okay. >.> But where are the elusive Edgar and Allen?
[/quote]

They were killed off, like in a soap opera.

Edgar slept with Poe's ex-wife and later died in a mysterious car crash shortly after. Allen came down with some sort of brain blockage and couldn't be saved by Edgar's good looking doctor sister.

[quote name='PuRock' date='02 November 2009 - 04:59 PM' timestamp='1257195561' post='271896']
They were killed off, like in a soap opera.

Edgar slept with Poe's ex-wife and later died in a mysterious car crash shortly after. Allen came down with some sort of brain blockage and couldn't be saved by Edgar's good looking doctor sister.
[/quote]

Oh now that explains everything!

I made a point of finding out about where the name came from and the poem 'The Raven' by Edgar Allan Poe. I love the way the emblem and team name embody the spirt of the area from historical figures, it must surely invigorate a real sense of pride amongst residents of Baltimore.

I think I will get the team emblem tattooed on my arm when I can afford it.

When the Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore in 1996, many people did not want to be the Baltimore Browns. The people in Baltimore were given the oppurtunity to name the team and created a design for the logo. Edgar Allen Poe's poem entitled, "The Raven" is one of the most darkest and famous poems ever and he wrote it in Baltimore. The design for the logo symbolized the fear of the Raven and aptly suits the mentality and philosophy of our team.

[quote name='Ed_Reed_Pick_Six' date='03 November 2009 - 01:59 AM' timestamp='1257231597' post='272340']
I think I will get the team emblem tattooed on my arm when I can afford it.
[/quote]

You're not the only one, I've been thinking of getting the Ravens shield done, but now I'm also warming up to the idea of the Raven head as well.