1. Not every Center is Birk and can go until they are 36
2. You pay FAs for what they are going to do, not what they have done.
3. You would be paying Mangold for what he is and he is only getting older.
4. Decline in play happens quick, look at Reed from 2011 to 2012 to 2013. I am sure plenty of people thought he would be a good fit in Houston, this rings those same warning bells.
5. If you are Mangold, why the heck would you take less than half of what you are used to making and risk your body at 33? Maybe with a contender after rotting on the Jets but we have too many holes to seriously compete for a Lombardi trophy right now. Good luck trying to convince him we are that team that is going to win it all within a couple years after missing the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years.
6. If all you want is for them to not stink, just start Urschel instead of shelling out about 5-6 mil per year at least(I mean Reed got 5 mil per after his 2012 season) on Mangold. Or better yet draft someone although at this rate we may have to double dip if we don't want to see Hurst out at RT again and if we have any injuries... yikes.
7. Have not heard anything about the Ravens being interested in Mangold from any reputable sources, if there were something imminent we would have heard something.